Essential oils like the Western Red Cedar Essential Oil has been used plenty of times and have roots in old age history. Western Red Cedar was used by the indigenous people of the Pacific for practically all of their daily tasks. The oil extracted from the tree has plenty of mental, spiritual, and emotional benefits Because of the amazing properties and effects of this essential oil, it really is no wonder it holds a status as a rare, unique oil which is in high demand.
Western Red Cedar Essential Oil originated from its namesake, the Western Red Cedar which is also known by its scientific name: the Thuja plicata. The oil is derived from the leaves and branches of the tree, and has a spicy, strong aromatic scent which is sure to tickle the brain and an individual’s senses. It is commonly inhaled and used as an aromatic. This essential oil might be preferable for men, given its spicy, masculine and musky scent.
The Western Red Cedar tree has been known to be used frequently throughout history in many daily activities such as hunting and using the trunk to build shelter and the like. But what many do not know is that the leaves and the branches were also used for amazing medicinal purposes, such as the creation of the Western Red Cedar Essential Oil which exploded in popularity among the Pacific region, so much so that it even reached certain nations in Asia, Tibet, especially.
This essential oil is incredibly nourishing to the skin and the mind, which is why it is one of the most recommended essential oils available in the market. The rich, woody scent is sure to make any individual who smells it relax almost instantly.
Western Red Cedar Essential Oil Benefits
This amazing essential oil has quite a large amount of benefits, including but not limited to the following:
- Promotes a healthy respiratory system
- Has bacteria and germ-killing properties
- Has mentally calming properties
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Provides nourishment to the skin
- Helps prevent skin problems like acne and dandruff
- Helps ease pain and inflammation
Western Red Cedar Essential Oil Uses
- Western Red Cedar Essential Oil as Hair Treatment. Western Red Cedar Essential Oil can be used as a hair treatment for ailments such as a flaky scalp or dandruff-ridden hair. Simply apply the blend topically onto the scalp and leave it on for a set amount of time, after which make sure to wash the liquid off.
- Western Red Cedar Essential Oil as a Disinfectant. This essential oil has properties which can kill bacteria and germs, which is why it tends to be a common ingredient is certain medicines. If you have a fungi or a bacterial problem, you might want to apply the essential oil onto the affected area.
- Western Red Cedar Essential Oil as a Stress Reliever and Antidepressant. The relaxing and aromatic scent of the Western Red Cedar Essential oil is great for those who suffer from intense stress and depression. A good way for said individuals to make use of this essential oil is by using it as an aromatic or diffusing it into a room.
- Western Red Cedar Essential Oil as a Pain Reliever. Another great use for the essential oil is a pain reliever. Simply apply it only the affected area and the strong properties of the blend might just whisk your pain away.
- Western Red Cedar Essential Oil as an Anti-inflammatory Agent. Another popular medical use of the essential oil is to ease inflammation. In order to make use of this amazing property, simply apply the oil into the affected area (be sure to wash it off after use).
Western Red Cedar Essential Oil Side Effects
- Irritated Skin (in high doses/ if allergic)
- Nausea (in high doses)
- Dehydration (in high doses)
- Vomiting (in high doses)
- Digestive problems (in high doses)
Other than the irritated skin that may be prevalent in individuals who have an allergic reaction to the Western Red Cedar’s trees and those who consume the oil in large amounts, the essential oil Is generally safe for normal individuals (excluding pregnant women and young children, who out to seek professional advice before undergoing usage of essential oils)
How to Use Western Red Cedar Essential Oil
There are different ways to use Western Red Cedar Essential Oil and reap its benefits. Here they are:
- Aromatherapy. This is the most common and popular method of use for the Western Red Cedar Essential oil, because of its well known and loved, rich and woody scent. In order to use this essential oil for aromatherapy, simply inhale it directly from the bottle, place it in a separate container and make use of it as a spray, or even as a perfume or fragrance.
- Topical. Another method of use for the Western Red Cedar Essential oil is to apply the blend topically onto the skin. Simply place the liquid onto any affected parts of the body and leave it on, eventually washing it off.
How to Make Western Red Cedar Essential Oil
The Western Red Cedar Essential oil is obtained from the Western Red Cedar tree, more specifically from its wood such as branches and leaves. The method in which said oil is extracted is known as steam distillation. The longer the essential oil is distilled, the purer and higher-grade it must be. This process has been used for decades and it seemed there is no faltering of the demand whatsoever.
Western Red Cedar Essential Oil Recipe
Making your very own Red Cedar Essential Oil blend is very possible and simple enough, as long as you obtain the right ingredients. A good recipe suggestion is one that involves at least 3 tbsp of pure Western Essential Oil. Dilute this concentrated liquid with about 2tbsp of water and another tbsp of any preferred aromatic incense, then mix it together to create a spray or perfume that will last you a long time with regular use.
Where to Buy Western Red Cedar Essential Oil
Western Red Cedar Essential Oil is a popular blend that can be purchases from many different health stores. Some recommended examples are Isla’s Aromatics and La La Essential Oils.
More Information on Western Red Cedar Essential Oil
- Recommended to only be used topically
- Not recommended for ingestion
- Not recommended for pregnant women, children, and most especially animals
- Not recommended to use when undiluted
- Like with all essential oils, this should be kept away from the eyes and the mucus membranes- any opening on the body.
- Patch test before use
- Consult with a medical professional before regular usage.
- May cause skin in irritation for select skin types.