Thyme is a member of the mint family so it can also be found in products such as mouthwashes and toothpastes. A lot of people have also hailed Thyme Essential Oil as being one of the best essential oils for treating hormone imbalance, especially in women. Menopausal and menstrual symptoms are relieved by using this essential oil.
In the old days thyme was regarded as something that could give courage, so it was given to knights who would embark on wars. The herb was also usually placed underneath the pillow to promote peaceful and restful sleep. As the centuries went by thyme uses and benefits were discovered, and another form was developed to bring more positive effects to those who will use it. Thyme Essential Oil was formulated so that it could provide the purest of its medicinal, therapeutic, and other advantages. The numerous effects Thyme Essential Oil has on the body include the skin. The skin is an indicator of overall health. If the skin is dull and is braking out, it usually means that something on the inside is happening. And Thyme Essential Oil effectively makes the skin glowing and young looking.
Thyme Essential Oil has the following constituents that are responsible for giving off its numerous benefits: carvacrol, alpha thujone, thymol, alpha pinene, beta caryophyllene, beta pinene, borneol, para cymene, linalook and alpha terpinene. These are the components of the oil that are expressed when the leaves of thyme are extracted through steam distillation. Being regarded as one of the strongest antioxidants, it has been proven to be medicinally beneficial and has been in use since the medieval times. Toxins are being flushed out of the system to make way for a healthy body.
Thyme Essential Oil Benefits
Learn about the benefits that Thyme Essential Oil can provide its users here.
- Good for the stomach. The accumulation of gas in the intestines and stomach are greatly reduced.
- Flushes out toxins. A good diuretic, Thyme Essential Oil flushes out toxins by promoting regular urination.
- Good for mind health. Concentration and memory are greatly enhanced by using thyme oil.
- Reduces cellulites. Cellulites can be unsightly, and using thyme oil will make them appear less visible.
- Good for the hair. Hair loss is thwarted by Thyme Essential Oil.
- Enhances vision. Those who are suffering from poor or blurry vision can get their healthy eyes back with thyme oil.
- Cures fibroids. PMS symptoms are also reduced, if not totally eliminated.
- Good for hormonal imbalance. Thyme oil balances the hormones in the body, resulting in regular menstrual cycles.
- Relaxes the mind. Anxiety and stress are reduced when taking thyme oil.
- Good for circulation. It relaxes the arteries and veins, making the passageway for blood to be wider and more capable of pumping blood to all the body parts.
- Repels insects. Outdoor activities will no longer be interrupted by insects. Thyme oil repels bugs and mosquitos.
- Enhances teeth health. It makes breath fresh, gets rid of gum diseases as well as prevents plaque and tooth decay.
- Enhances skin health. Overall skin health is greatly improved by Thyme Essential Oil.
- Kills bacteria and infection. Kills any bacteria and infection that inhabit the body, as well as equip the immune system to fight off future infections.
- Treats respiratory ailments. Bronchitis, cough and colds are just some of the respiratory illnesses that can benefit from thyme oil.
- Rids rheumatism and gout. These conditions can be debilitating, and thyme il can reverse the effects of these conditions.
- Makes aging process slower. Free radicals that make the skin look a lot older are flushed out, resulting in glowing skin and overall health.
There have been a lot of satisfied users of Thyme Essential Oil and it has been tested and proven to be safe and effective when used in the right doses. If you are suffering from the above mentioned conditions, you can try using thyme oil after clearing with your physician that it is safe for you.
Thyme Essential Oil Uses
- Thyme Essential Oil as Insecticide. Insects and bugs are repelled by thyme oil’s aroma.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Vermifuge. Thyme oil not only repels bugs and insects, it is also toxic to worms. This is why thyme oil can be sprayed in a garden to kill worms that can destroy plants.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Cough Remedy. Coughs can be disruptive, but with thyme oil’s use, symptoms are alleviated, just like if you are taking powerful antibiotics made of chemicals.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Detoxifier. Toxins are rid of by thyme oil. This results in better overall health.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Anxiety Relief. It relaxes the mind and any tension is relieved, thereby getting rid of anxiety. The aroma also evokes positive emotions.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Energy Booster. Good blood circulation results in more energy. Various body systems are stimulated by thyme oil, giving the person more energy to deal with things.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Stimulant. It promotes better blood circulation.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Hypertensive. Those with low blood pressure who wish to up or normalize their blood pressure can be helped by thyme oil. It should be noted that people with already high blood pressure should not take thyme oil as it may only be increased.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Expectorant. Coughs are relieved by unclogging the airways from mucus membranes that cause coughs and colds.
- Thyme Essential Oil as Herbal Rinse. Thyme belongs to the mint family, and it is also used in oral products. It can be used as an oral rinse not only to make breath fresh, but also to kill microbes that can cause tooth decay, plaque and other oral health problems.
Thyme Essential Oil Side Effects
It can increase blood pressure when taken in large and undiluted doses. Unadulterated Thyme Essential Oil can also cause irritation and other allergic reactions. This being said, pregnant women and those with usually high blood pressure should avoid using Thyme Essential Oil. For people with bleeding disorders, thyme oil should be avoided as it can cause slowing of clotting, and it can exacerbate the bleeding. For those who are using thyme oil and are scheduled for surgery, stopping use of the oil at least two weeks before the procedure will not slow down clotting.
How to Use Thyme Essential Oil
A couple of drops of Thyme Essential Oil can be added to a veggie capsule, especially during winter to keep the immune system strong. The oil can also be used in gardening to get rid and repel insects that may destroy the plants. A drop or two can also be added to marinades or dishes to add flavor and aroma. For topical use, a few drops on coconut oil will do great wonders for the skin. Three to four drops can be added into the diffuser to release a relaxing aroma. Just one drop of Thyme Essential Oil on four ounces of liquid is best for ingestion to relieve internal illnesses.
How to Make Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme Essential Oil is derived from steam distillation of the flowers, leaves and stems. The resulting aroma is herbaceous.
Thyme Essential Oil Recipe
Here are the things you will need to make your own Thyme Essential Oil.
- Fresh thyme
- Carrier oil
- Sauce pan
- Mortar and pestle
- Glass container
- Wash the thyme thoroughly and place in the mortar and pestle.
- Crush the thyme to extract its oil.
- Pour the thyme into the saucepan together with the carrier oil.
- Simmer the mixture for ten minutes and let it cool.
- Transfer the essential oil into the glass container using the cheesecloth and funnel.
Where to Buy Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme Essential Oil is available wherever essential oils are sold. doTERRA is one brand that sells Thyme Essential Oil. You can buy this brand from their website’s product order page. You can also make your very own Thyme Essential Oil in your home.
More Information on Thyme Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil is not only popular in cookery but in aromatherapy as well.
- There are over 300 types of thyme’s chemical profiles because it is grown in many different parts of the world, and each variety has a different climate, environment and soil that contribute to its uniqueness.
- Many households all over the world have thyme oil in their arsenal for its host of benefits.
- It is important to note that Thyme Essential Oil should not be used unadulterated.