Spikenard (Nardostachys Jatamansi) is a flowering plant that is native to the high altitude regions (about 10,000 feet) of the Himalayan Mountains in Nepal and part of the Valerian plant family. This plant is about 3 feet in height and is adored for its pink, bell shaped flowers and one of its most distinct characteristics is that it has many bushy thorns that shoot out of its roots. This is prominent in India by the name of Jatamansi. This plant is also called “Indian Spikes”, “Nard”, “Nardin” and “Muskroot”.
Spikenard Essential Oil has an intense aroma and yellowish-brown color. It has a sweet, woody and spicy odor which bears a resemblance to the smell of moss. In India, it is used as part of the Ayurvedic medicine for treatment of depression, stress, tension, sleeping troubles and nervous breakdowns. In ancient culinary, spikenard was used as flavouring to food and additional flavor to wine and beer.
Spikenard Essential Oil is an essential oil that has been extracted from the roots of the Spikenard plant. Spikenard Essential Oil has that unique woody and spicy scent and this is also used as ingredient to perfume, cosmetics and massage oil.
There a wide range of health benefits that are attributed to Spikenard Essential Oil. Aside from its relaxing properties, this oil is also antibacterial, antifungal, antiperspirant, a laxative, sedative and can help women who have problems with their reproductive health. This can also promote great skin. This essential oil is produced through the steam distillation process and is composed of ethanol, calaren, clalerenol, coumarin, aristolene, dihydrozsulenes, jastamanshinic acid, valerianol, valeranal, valeranone, nardol and nardostachone.
Spikenard Essential Oil Benefits
Spikenard Essential oil has been used for thousands of years all over the world because of its following health benefits:
- Relieves feelings of anxiety, stress, depression and tension
- Antidote to food poison
- Prevents growth of bacteria in the body
- Treats various skin diseases and promote healthier skin
- Deodorant and antiperspirant
- Relief for insomnia and promote better sleep
- For improvement of reproductive health
- Cure for menstrual pains and haemorrhoids
- Cures constipation
- Tonic for hair loss
- Supports healthier digestion
- Boosts immune system
- Promotes faster healing of wounds
- Promotes healthier blood circulation
- Expectorant and cure for coughs and colds
Spikenard Essential Oil Uses
- Spikenard Essential Oil to Relieve Stress and Depression. This oil helps in relaxing the entire body and the mind. This can calm the body and allow it to function properly. Also, it can help in treating feeling of anxiety, depression and even feelings of sadness and anger.
- Spikenard Essential Oil as Antioxidant. This oil has very powerful antioxidant properties that can shield healthy cells from the harmful effects of free radicals. This can also help the body in developing better skin and immune system. This also has anti-cancer properties and reduces oxidative stress.
- Spikenard Essential Oil as Antiperspirant. This oil can replace your deodorant because it can help fight unpleasant body odor and excessive sweating.
- Spikenard Essential Oil for Better Skin. This oil can treat acne, dermatitis, eczema, athlete’s foot and help promote younger looking skin.
- Spikenard Essential Oil as Antibacterial and Antifungal. This oil can help fight fungus and bacterial infections that can harm the body. This also helps in preventing the growth of bacteria and fungi in the body as well as help in immediate healing of wounds and cuts.
- Spikenard Essential Oil as Sedative. This essential oil can help the promote sleep and treats insomnia. This is a natural sedative and has relaxing effects that can induce restful sleep. It can also help get rid of feelings of mental exhaustion, tiredness, muscles sores and restlessness.
- Spikenard Essential Oil as Anti Inflammatory. This oil can help reduce the inflammation in the body which can lessen asthma attacks and also help prevents pancreatitis to worsen.
- Spikenard Essential Oil for Healthier Digestive System. For immediate relief from constipation, stomach ache and improve digestive system function, Spikenard Essential Oil can help. In case of food poisoning, this can aid in helping the body respond by flushing out the toxins bought about by food poison.
- Spikenard Essential Oil for Healthier Reproductive System. This oil can help protect the uterus and ovaries. It also helps in the production of estrogen hormones and acts as aphrodisiac that can increase sex drive and treat impotence. This oil can also be used to cleanse the uterus and help women who are having problems with their menstruation.
- Spikenard Essential Oil for Healthier Respiratory System. As a natural decongestant and treatment for coughs and colds, this oil can also help in make your lungs function better. Moreover, this is also proven to cure pneumonia, bronchitis and other respiratory problems.
- Spikenard Essential Oil for Hair Loss Prevention. This oil can help prevent hair loss and balding. This can also help in strengthening the hair and promote hair growth.
- Spikenard Essential Oil for Better Blood Circulation. This oil promotes better blood flow and helps keep in maintaining a healthy blood pressure.
Spikenard Essential Oil Side Effects
Spikenard Essential Oil has no known side effects because it is non-toxic and non-irritating. But for extra caution, only use diluted essential oils and perform a skin patch test before using it.
If you are pregnant or lactating, consult a trusted medical professional or a qualified aromatherapy consultant before use.
If you are under medication or have cancer, epilepsies or liver damage, it is best to seek the advice of your doctor for possible contradictions with the medicines you are currently taking.
How to Use Spikenard Essential Oil
Spikenard Essential Oil can be used in many ways. This oil can also be used for aromatherapy using an oil diffuser and topically as massage oil. You can add a few drops to your cleanser and apply on your skin. It can also replace your deodorant. Aside from its terrific effects in the body, this oil can also be used as flavouring to food or beverage. Furthermore, this is a wonderful addition to perfume, cosmetics, room deodorizer and bath soap. Spikenard Essential Oil blends perfectly with other essential oils as well.
How to Make Spikenard Essential Oil
Spikenard Essential Oil is processed through steam distillation. The part of the plant where this essential oil was extracted was from the stems which are called rhizomes. These rhizomes are crushed and distilled to separate the oil from the water. The oil produced is concentrated Spikenard Essential Oil.
Spikenard Essential Oil Recipe
Homemade Vapor Rub with Spikenard Essential Oil
- 20 drops of Spikenard Essential Oil
- 20 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 20 drops of Eucalyptus Essentail Oil
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup grated bees wax
- 2 cups of water
Using a saucepan, pour the olive oil, coconut oil and beeswax. Put over very low heat and allow melting. Once melted, remove from heat and let cool. Add the Eucalyptus, Peppermint and Spikenard Essential and stir to properly combine. Store this homemade vapour rub in a metal or glass container and use externally.
Hair Conditioner to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth
- 10 drops of Spikenard Essential Oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
In a plastic container or spray bottle, pour the water and apple cider vinegar. Mix thoroughly and then add the essential oil. Make sure that you mix it properly. Apply on hair and leave on for 5 minutes and then rinse.
Where to Buy Spikenard Essential Oil
Spikenard Essential Oil can be conveniently bought online through Amazon.com or directly from qualified essential oil merchants such as doTerra.com or Eden’s Garden. You can also avail of this essential oil through your local health store or grocery but make sure that you purchase from trusted sources.
Spikenard Essential Oil FAQs
Q: Can children use Spikenard Essential Oil?
A: It is advised that this essential oil should be used by children only upon professional recommendation.
Q: Can Spikenard Essential Oil cause allergies?
A: Although this oil is generally safe to use, there are still people who are observed to be allergic to this oil. It is advised that you do a patch test before using it on your body especially on your face.
Q: Can you use Spikenard Essential Oil with other essential oils?
A: Spikenard Essential Oil blends well with other essential oils such as all types of Cedarwood, Clove Bud, Frankincense, Cypress, Lavender, Lemon, Geranium, Juniper Berry, Jasmine, Myrrh, Palmarosa, Rose, Vetiver and Sandalwood.