Spearmint Essential Oil has been in use for decades. It was primarily used as a digestive aid. Cookery is one of the aspects that Spearmint Essential Oil is also widely used. It is mixed with beverages, in salad dressings, in marinades as well as in other recipes. For so many years, Spearmint Essential Oil has dominated the dental and candy industries, thanks to its minty flavor and sweet flavor.
Spearmint Essential Oil has a fruity and minty scent, and is used in many different purposes. It is considered one of the mildest of all varieties of essential oils, and is generally safe for use in cooking, and medicinal and therapeutic purposes. Spearmint flavor can be found in many different foods such as candies, chewing gums as well as in pharmaceutical products such as toothpastes and shampoos. Its minty feel makes it effective in providing freshness in all its uses. Spearmint Essential Oil is different from peppermint and mint essential oils. It is the mildest of the three mints variants, which make it suitable for use by older children.
It is an effective anti-spasmodic, insecticide, stimulant and antiseptic, among others. The aroma of Spearmint Essential Oil is similar to that of peppermint oil with its menthol component, although it is more insignificant than the latter. It has always been used as an alternative to peppermint whenever it is unavailable. Although Spearmint Essential Oil is less potent than peppermint oil, they provide the same medicinal and other benefits.
Spearmint Essential Oil’s main constituents are carvone, beta-myrcene, limonene and 1,8-cineole. Carvone is the constituent that possesses uplifting properties.
Spearmint Essential Oil Benefits
Spearmint Essential Oil has great benefits to overall health. It provides relief from pains, illnesses and promotes better bodily functions. Taking Spearmint Essential Oil will give you the following benefits.
- Helps improve the mood. Diffusing Spearmint Essential Oil will give off a minty and sweet aroma that instantly lifts the mood and evokes positive feelings.
- Makes breath fresher. Applying the oil onto the teeth and brushing with it instantly provides fresh breath.
- Relieves stomach pain. Drinking diluted Spearmint Essential Oil will provide relief to pain.
- Promotes better digestion. One drop of Spearmint Essential Oil in four ounces of liquid can effectively help in digesting food after a heavy meal.
- Promotes focus. The oil is useful for those who are studying and working on projects so they can focus more on the task at hand.
- Cleanses the mouth. Aside from its breath freshening effect, Spearmint Essential Oil also cleans the mouth of bacteria that can cause gum disease and bad breath.
- Relieves asthma. Its menthol property decongests the airways, making it an effective aid for asthma sufferers.
- Alleviates headaches and stress. Its minty scent effectively gets rid of headaches as well as issues related to stress.
- Relaxes the muscle and nerves. Certain situations may tense muscles and nerves. Applying it on sore parts of the body will effectively release tension.
- Heals wounds. The healing process is sped up by Spearmint Essential Oil.
- Solves period issues. Women greatly benefit from Spearmint Essential Oil because of its positive effects on menstrual cycles.
- Improves blood circulation. A good blood circulation means good overall well-being of the body.
- Acts as an insect repellent. It is effective in repelling insects and bugs.
Spearmint Essential Oil gives off these benefits and then some. But it is a wise move that before using it or any other essential oil to consult a physician or a qualified aroma therapist beforehand to ensure that no adverse reaction will occur, especially if there is an underlying medical condition or present medication to be taken into consideration.
Spearmint Essential Oil Uses
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Decongestant. The minty scent decongests airways, allowing for cough, colds and even asthma to be relieved.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Mood Enhancer. The scent alone evokes positive energies and instantly uplifts the mood.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Disinfectant. Both internal and external infections are cured by Spearmint Essential Oil.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Food Flavoring. Spearmint Essential Oil still hasn’t lost its culinary benefit. It can be used in a wide variety of dishes.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Inhaler. Because it is milder than peppermint oil, Spearmint Essential Oil is perfect as an inhaler, to decongest the respiratory tract.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Massage Oil. Mixing it with other compatible oils will make for a good massage salve that can ease aches and pains as well as muscle tension.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Topical Agent. Diluting it in carrier oil can treat skin problems as well as make the skin young looking, fresh and rejuvenated.
- Spearmint Essential Oil for Ingestion. Diluting it in water or other liquid beverages will greatly help in digestion.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Restorative Salve. It helps restores the body’s overall health by promoting proper functions of the body’s different systems.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Stimulant. It promotes the discharge of hormones that are essential in restoring the body’s health.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Carminative Agent. It promotes the relaxation of the intestinal tract, making it possible for good digestion and prevents stomach issues such as ulcers.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Antiseptic. Wounds and infections are treated by Spearmint Essential Oil. Its antiseptic property contributes to faster healing of wounds. When applied topically on external wounds, the essential oil simultaneously acts as a shield against infections from getting into the open cracks in the skin.
- Spearmint Essential Oil as Antispasmodic Agent. The relaxing effects of Spearmint Essential Oil help the muscles and nerves relax.
Spearmint Essential Oil Side Effects
Using unadulterated Spearmint Essential Oil may cause sensitivities such as skin irritation and severe allergic reactions. Always dilute Spearmint Essential Oil in carrier oil or water and other fluids. It will still provide the benefits you need even if you only use a few drops every time.
How to Use Spearmint Essential Oil
Spearmint Essential Oil should always be diluted in carrier oil or other liquids to avoid any irritation or allergic reactions from occurring when using unadulterated Spearmint Essential Oil. Very young children should not use this oil as it may cause sensitivities on their very young skin. Pregnant and lactating women should first consult their physicians if they are compatible with Spearmint Essential Oil.
Other than the cases mentioned above, Spearmint Essential Oil can be used by anyone who wants to get its benefits. For diffusion, three to four drops of Spearmint Essential Oil into a diffuser will release a sweet-smelling aroma in any room. For ingestion, one drop is enough for a four ounce drink. For topical use, two drops of the oil diluted in carrier oil is sufficient.
How to Make Spearmint Essential Oil
Steam distillation is the process used in extracting Spearmint Essential Oil from the flowering tops of the spearmint plant.
Spearmint Essential Oil Recipe
Here are the steps on how you can formulate your own Spearmint Essential Oil.
- Fresh spearmint leaves
- Mortar and pestle
- Carrier oil
- Lidded glass jar
- Wash the leaves thoroughly and place in the mortar and pestle.
- Crush the leaves to release the oils.
- Place the crushed leaves into the glass jar and submerge them fully into the carrier oil.
- Let the mixture set for one day.
- Add more crushed spearmint leaves and carrier oil into the mixture. Repeat the procedures for five days.
- Strain the mixture with the cheesecloth and transfer into the container.
Where to Buy Spearmint Essential Oil
Mountain Rose Herbs is one of the best Spearmint Essential Oil brands that you can buy from the product’s website. Other sources are eBay and Amazon, as well as different websites that offer this oil. Spearmint Essential Oil is also available in aromatherapy stores in your area. You can also make Spearmint Essential Oil right in your home using simple ingredients and following simple procedures.
More Information on Spearmint Essential Oil
- Spearmint is also compatible with other oils for blending such as eucalyptus, basil, peppermint, rosemary and lavender oils.
- During the ancient times, the Greeks used Spearmint Essential Oil inn their bathwater to cure sexually transmitted diseases.
- Washington state in the United States is the one of biggest producers of Spearmint Essential Oil in the world.