Ravensara Essential Oil is quite a rare essential oil. Also known as Agathophyllum aromatica or Ravensara aromatica, it is sourced from a giant tree that is indigenous to Madagascar. Locals use it as a panacea, a cure all for anything that ails them. The fragrantly scented essential oil with a woody herbaceous, camphory and slightly spicy aroma, is a powerful antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic oil, and often used for the treatment of various infectious diseases of the skin.
It is also used in aromatherapy when your spirits need a lift. Add two drops of Ravensara Essential Oil to your infuser and enjoy its relaxing and uplifting scent.
Although a very effective essential oil, Ravensara Essential Oil is not that popular, but it is a very handy oil to have around the house. The Ravensara aromatica tree leaves are harvested for steam distillation to extract the oil. It is also grown in Tasmania and Australia. The locals use Ravensara seeds, which are known as Madagascar nutmeg, for cooking. The bark can be used to make local rum. The oil consistency is thin and its color is clear with a slight yellow tinge.
The oil has so many properties: aphrodisiac, diuretic, expectorant, antispasmodic, disinfectant, analgesic, anti-allergenic, antiseptic, antiviral, antimicrobial, antifungal and antibacterial. The essential oil contains terpineol, sabinene, methyl eugenol, methyl chavicol, linalool, limonene, germacreme, caryophyllene, delta carene and alpha pinene.
It should not be confused with Ravintsara Essential Oil, which has an aroma reminiscent of rosemary and used to treat chest infections, colds, headaches and stomachaches.
Ravensara Essential Oil Benefits
Keep a bottle of Ravensara Essential Oil and enjoy its many health benefits:
- Antibacterial and Antimicrobial
Ravensara Essential Oil Uses
Here are some of the therapeutic uses of Ravensara Essential Oil:
1. Ravensara Essential Oil for Shingles and Cold Sores
The oil has no irritating and drying effect on sensitive skin despite its antiviral properties. It will shorten the healing time of cold sores and shingle lesions.
2. Ravensara Essential Oil for Aching Muscles
Soothe aching muscles due to exercise or illness with Ravensara Essential Oil. It has antispasmodic properties to ease muscle cramps and spasms. It also helps lower nervous tension.
3. Ravensara Essential Oil for Colds
The oil can fight the cold virus with its antimicrobial, antiviral and antibacterial properties. You can inhale its vapor or add it to a warm bath.
4. Ravensara Essential Oil for Respiratory Problems
Ravensara oil is good as an expectorant and helps loosen mucus and excess phlegm from your respiratory tract so they are easier to expel. It’s beneficial for the treatment of cough, cold, flue, tuberculosis, bronchitis and pneumonia.
Ravensara Essential Oil as Pain Reliever
Its analgesic properties make is a good natural pain reliever to help ease the discomfort from toothache, earache and headache as well as joint and muscular pain.
Ravensara Essential Oil as a Diuretic
Diuretics help remove toxic waste from your body through urination. Ravensara Essential Oil helps increase the rate of urination to remove toxins, excess fat, salt and water from your body. It helps in protecting your body from acne, rheumatism, gout, and arthritis. It also helps prevent hypertension and water retention.
7. Ravensara Essential Oil as Disinfectant
The essential oil’s antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial properties make it a disinfectant with the power to inhibit and stop the growth of protozoa, microorganisms and other harmful germs.
8. Ravensara Essential Oil as Antiviral
It is very good in fighting viruses that cause cold, chicken pox, influenza, mumps and measles.
Ravensara Essential Oil for Allergies
When combined with other essential oils, it helps reduce allergic rhinitis symptoms. It also helps drain the nasal passage and ease nasal congestion.
10. Ravensara Essential Oil for Bacterial Infections
The oil has antibacterial properties with the power to kill H.pylori bacteria that causes several problems in your digestive system. It also capable of inhibiting the growth of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection.
Ravensara Essential Oil Side Effects
There are no known side effects of Ravensara Essential Oil, but it is still wise to take some precautions:
- It should not be used by nursing or pregnant women due to its aphrodisiac properties.
- Consult a physician when using Ravensara Essential Oil or any other essential oils as natural treatment to ensure that it will not negatively interact with any medication or illnesses.
- Always do a skin patch test after you have diluted Ravensara Essential Oil to ensure that you are not allergic to it.
- Do not use near your eyes or on your eyes and other mucous membranes.
- The oil is for external use only. It is toxic when swallowed.
How to Use Ravensara Essential Oil
There are several ways to use Ravensara Essential Oil:
1. Massage. Combine a couple of drops of Ravensara Essential Oil with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil or sweet almond oil and massage it into the sore areas to relieve swollen joints and aching muscles.
2. Inhalation. Wet a clean handkerchief with Ravensara Essential Oil and inhale its aroma to alleviate congestion, allergic symptoms or lift your mood. You can also add two drops of the essential oil to a sink or bowl filled with hot water, and inhale the vapor. Cover your head with a towel and enjoy the refreshing minty scent of its vapor of about five minutes.
3. Mouthwash. Add a drop of Ravensara Essential Oil with a drop of Peppermint Essential Oil into a glass of water and use this as your antibacterial mouthwash to cleanse your mouth. Gargle the liquid but be careful not to swallow it.
4. Oil Bath. Add 10 drops of Ravensara to your warm bath water to soak away your aches and pains. See to it that you add the oil after you have filled your bathtub so the oil will not evaporate.
How to Make Ravensara Essential Oil
In the past, essential oil from the Ravensara tree was distilled from its bark. Today, the essential oil is extracted from the leaves and twigs via steam distillation.
Ravensara Essential Oil Recipe
Due to the rarity of the raw materials, it is not possible to make Ravensara Essential Oil at home. But you can use the 100% pure organic Ravensara Essential Oil to create some wonderful applications.
- For Aromatherapy. Add 4 to 5 drops of Ravensara Essential Oil to an infuser. Use it for 30 minutes three times a day to enjoys it health benefits and fill your room with its wonderful aroma. It can help relieve your headache, clear nasal and sinus congestion to help you breathe easier. It can even help your dogs in the same way. It relaxes the body and removes mental and physical stress, especially if you combine it with chamomile and calendula.
- For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If you suffer this malady, inhale Ravensara Essential Oil straight from the bottle for around 20 seconds. This will help you concentrate or stay active for a longer time.
- For Colds and Flu. Diffuse for at least 30 minutes once a day to clear your home of colds and flu viruses. Use this blend: one tablespoon of carrier oil, 3 drops of Ravensara Essential Oil and 2 drops of Eucalyptus Oil. Add this to your diffuser. You can also use this combination as a massage oil for your sinuses, spine, stomach, throat and chest.
- For Stronger Immune System. Blend 5 drops of Ravensara Essential Oil, 3 drops of Oregano Oil and 2 tablespoons of Sweet Almond Oil. Use this as a rub during the cold season. Apply to the soles of your feet, solar plexus and spine.
Where to Buy Ravensara Essential Oil
Ravensara Essential Oil is a bit rare and you should only buy from reputable stores. You have to make sure that it is 100 % pure Ravensara Essential Oil extracted from leaves because there are some that are adulterated and mixed with other oils that have camphor scent. Moreover, you should not use Ravensara Essential Oil extracted from the tree barks as for professional use only. Highest rated brands are Eden’s Garden 100% Pure Ravensara Essential Oil, Miracle Botanicals Ravensara Essential Oil, Piping Rock Ravensara Oil, Plant Guru Ravensara Oil and Healing Solutions Ravensara Oil.
Ravensara Essential Oil FAQs
- Make sure to buy only therapeutic grade 100% organic Ravensara Essential Oil.
- Ravensara Essential Oil is not recommended for internal use.
- Ravensara trees releases an aroma that is akin to eucalyptus.
- Locals call the tree Hazomanitra (tree that releases a smell).
- It’s also known as Madagascar nutmeg and clove nutmeg.
- The Ravensara Essential Oil is very safe. It does not cause sensitization and irritation but still treat it with caution, as it is quite potent.
- A 2012 research stated that a nasal spray using a mixture of Ravensara Essential Oil, niaouli and lemon essential oils was found to be effective in diminishing some of the hay fever’s common symptoms.
- Ravensara Essential Oil should be packed in dark amber bottles. Store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.