Petitgrain (Citrus aurantium) is derived from orange trees and it was used for medicinal purposes as well as ingredient for perfume, cosmetics and even food. It got its name from “petite or little grains” which refers to the small unripe green oranges that were the size of cherries. Another name for it is Petitgrain Bigarade. Every part of the Orange Tree has uses and no part of it goes to waste. Other essential oils that can be derived from the orange tree aside from the Petitgrain Essential Oil are the Neroli Essential Oil and Bitter Orange Essential Oil. When compared to the other two oils, Petitgrain Essential Oil has less floral scent.
This essential oil is known for its sharp, citrusy, woody and refreshing aroma that can help relieve stress and anxiety in the body. Aside from this, various benefits and uses of Petitgrain oil for human health has been discovered over the years.
Historically, this essential oil is also used in traditional health practices. Because of its wonderful aroma, it can gently and effectively calm you in stressful situations and soothe an upset stomach on the spot. This is also very helpful in getting a more rejuvenated skin for the youthful glow. Because this is rich in olfactives, this oil has been used for thousands of years as ingredient for high-end perfumes and cosmetics.
Petitgrain Essential Oil should not be confused with Orange Essential Oil. The main difference is that Orange Essential Oil was extracted from peels of oranges whereas Petitgrain Essential Oil was obtained from the orange tree’s fresh leaves, young twigs and unripe green fruits. This is mainly composed of Genaniol, Geranyl and Linalyl Acetate, Limonene, Linalool and Sesquiterpene. This is also used as replacement to very expensive Neroli Oil, which is also from the orange trees but this was cold compressed from the blooms of the orange tree.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Benefits
There are various benefits that can be derived from using Petitgrain Essential Oil and these are the following:
- Relieves stress, depression and anxiety
- Prevents insomnia and promotes a restful sleep
- Treats respiratory problems
- Treats muscle spasms and cramps
- Boosts immune system
- Enhances the nervous system
- Improves cardiovascular function
- Highly beneficial in treating problems in the digestive system
- Prevents body odor and excessive sweating
- Cures various skin infections and irritations
Petitgrain Essential Oil Uses
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Anti-Depressant. This essential oil is an effective anti-depressant. It can help comfort the mind and body from stress, depression, sudden anger or anxiety. Inhaling this can help relieve and uplift your senses again. You may add a few drops of this oil to your beverage or hot water and enjoy its refreshing taste as well.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Antiseptic. This oil can help inhibit the growth of bacteria especially in open wounds. This can be applied directly to the affected part or ingested.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Anti-Oxidant. Petitgrain Essential Oil help boosts the immune system and helps the body fight oxidative stress which leads to cancer. Furthermore, it can help in various skin diseases, clears acne and removes skin blemishes for better skin health.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Anti-Inflammatory. This oil can help in reduce swelling and redness especially for sensitive skin.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Anti-Emetic. There are situations where in you have motion sickness and may feel like vomiting this oil can eliminate that uneasy feeling. Petitgrain Essential Oil can help sooth nausea as well.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Antiperspirant. When used as deodorant, this oil will not leave any trace of unpleasant body odor. Since this is also anti-bacterial, it prevents the multiplication of bacteria that cause body odor and it also protects the body from various skin infections. This can also help people who experience unusual sweating when subjected to uncomfortable situations.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Treatment to Respiratory System Problems. This essential oil is also used as expectorant and decongestant. This oil may be taken internally which can help loosen the mucus in the airways of the lungs, which can promote better breathing.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Treatment to Digestive System Problems. This oil can calm an upset stomach instantaneously, relax abdominal muscles and help in resolving colic problems in children.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Treatment and Prevention to Insomnia. This oil has sedative effects that can calm the body and induce sleep. This is also effective for those people who have insomnia. You can put a few drops in your beddings or hot tea for that relaxing and longer sleep.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Treatment to Muscle Spasms. This essential oil can help relax muscles and tissues. This can help in treating involuntary muscle contractions that gives painful cramps in different parts of the body.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil to Improve Nervous System. Petitgrain Essential Oil can help strengthen the whole nervous system. This also calms the nerves and prevents panic and epileptic attacks. This also improves memory and helpful for autism.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil to Improve Cardiovascular System Function. This oil can help in strengthening the heart and total cardiovascular system of the body. This is particularly helpful in maintaining a healthy heart and blood circulation.
- Petitgrain Essential Oil as Aphrodisiac. This oil is an effective aphrodisiac especially for men.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Side Effects
Petitgrain Essential Oil has no known side effects but it is advised that you do a skin patch test before using it. There are a few people who experienced allergic reaction to this essential oil. This is also safe to use for children but it is advised that it should not be used for children under 6 years of age.
How to Use Petitgrain Essential Oil
Petitgrain Essential Oil is very versatile and can be used in variety of ways and these are as follows:
- Aromatherapy. A few drops in an oil diffuser can add a relaxing vibe in your home or office. You can also inhale it directly from the bottle for that instant fatigue and stress reliever.
- Massage Oil. You can massage Petitgrain Essential Oil into your lower spine, neck, chest, stomach, hands and feet to soothe your tired body. This can also be used in children but in smaller amounts.
- Dietary Supplement. Adding a few drops of Petitgrain Essential Oil in your tea or water can greatly help in your total wellness.
- Fragrance. This essential oil is a common component in perfumes because of its distinct smell.
- Food Additive. This is also used as seasoning to food for that extra flavor.
How to Make Petitgrain Essential Oil
Petitgrain Essential oil is extracted from the fresh leaves, young twigs and small unripe fruits of the orange tree through steam distillation.
For do it yourselfers, you may infuse orange leaves in boiling water for 7 minutes and put honey to taste.
Petitgrain Essential Oil Recipe
To make your own massage oil using Petitgrain Essential Oil, you will need: 10 ml soya oil and 10 drops of Petitgrain Essential Oil. Mix the two ingredients thoroughly and put in a dark colored bottle.
For homemade facial scrub recipe using Petitgrain Essential Oil, you will need:
- 200 g quick cooking rolled oats
- 75g cornmeal,
- 60g cosmetic clay
- 4 drops of Petitgrain Essential Oil
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 1 drop Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Grind the rolled oats using a coffee grinder until you achieve a fine texture.
- In a clear bowl, put the grounded rolled oats, cornmeal and cosmetic clay and mix thoroughly.
- Drop the essential oils and stir rigorously.
- Place in a dark colored container and store in a cool, dry place.
Where to Buy Petitgrain Essential Oil
This essential oil is becoming more and more popular and used around the globe. You can find this at your local health shops and online. Be sure to get it from a trusted seller. Prominent brands include doTerra, Young Living and Edens Garden.
More Information on Petitgrain Essential Oil
- It can be used to calm pets but for safety and precaution, especially for cats, consult a veterinarian for professional advice.
- Use it as cologne or mist especially during summer.
- It is safe to use for pregnant women after the first trimester. Just like other medication and essential oils, it is best to consult a medical professional before use. For lactating moms, it is also helpful to get the advice of your physician before use.
- It is generally not phototoxic.
- To get the most out of this essential oil, store it in a dark colored bottle.
- This oil is best blends with Lavender, Clary Sage, Clove, Geranium, Bergamot, Jasmine and Rosemary Essential Oils.