Myroxylon balsamum is a tree that is commonly found in Central and South America but most particularly among the Balsam Coast in El Salvador. This tree has a resinous component called Balsam of Peru where Peru Balsam Essential Oil is derived. Peru Balsam has a soft, sweet vanilla like yet distinct smell and has a lot of therapeutic properties. It also goes by many names such as “Black Balsam”, “Quina”, “Balsam fir oil”, “Peruvian balsam “,“Indian Balsam”, “China oil” and “Balsamo” among others.
Peru Balsam Essential Oil has been used during the ancient times as cure for skin disorders, cuts, wounds and other diseases in the body. Aside from these, Peru Balsam Essential Oil also has many medicinal and relaxing properties that will promote total wellness. Surprisingly, although this essential oil has a broad spectrum of benefits, Peru Balsam Essential Oil isn’t one you will commonly heard of.
Peru Balsam Essential Oil is capable of helping achieve optimal health. With its medical properties, it can greatly help improve the condition of your skin, respiratory tract and even inhibit the growth and progression of cancer cells in the body. Aside from its benefits in health, this essential oil is also used as flavoring for soft drinks, perfumes, creams, lotions, soaps and detergents.
Peru Balsam Essential Oil Benefits
This essential oil has various benefits in the mind and body which are as follows:
- Boosts the immune system
- Treatment to various skin diseases
- Helps treat respiratory problems
- Relieves anxiety, stress and depression
- Relieves sore muscles
- Hemorrhoids treatment
- Helps flush out unwanted toxins from the body
- Aids in hair health
- Aids in dental health
- Prevention of cancer and other degenerative diseases
Peru Balsam Essential Oil Uses
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil as Anti-Inflammatory. This has strong anti-inflammatory qualities that can reduce swelling, itchiness and redness of the skin as well as prevent the progression of asthma. Also, this is effective in treating hemorrhoids and prevents it from coming back.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil as Anti-Oxidant. This essential oil can greatly help in boosting the immune system and protects the body from free radicals. These free radicals are the main source of degenerative diseases such as cancer and hypertension.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil as Anti-Bacterial. This oil has anti-bacterial properties that inhibits the growth of bacteria and kills them.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil as Antiperspirant. It is proven to reduce body odor and controlling excessive perspiration.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil as Antiseptic. This oil is commonly used as formulation to cure burns, cuts and wound. Peru Essential Oil is also a component in diaper rash creams. It has great anti-fungicidal properties which can promote immediate healing.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil for Respiratory Health. Peru Balsam Essential Oil is very helpful in cases of cough which produces excessive phlegm, colds, flu, bronchitis, pneumonia and other respiratory problems. This can expel phlegm and clear the airways of the lungs.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil as Stress and Anxiety Reliever. Because of its unique and pleasing aroma, Peru Balsam Essential Oil is a great way to relax your mind, body and emotional state. It can help release tension and has a very comforting effect which can reduce mental exhaustion brought about by stressful situations.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil as Diuretic. This oil can help promoting healthier kidneys and induce urination to flush out unwanted toxins and fats. This also clears the body from any excess water and waste.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil for Rheumatic Aches and Pains. This oil can help in treating rheumatic aches and pains by using it as massage oil. You may also add a few drops in your bath to also soothe your tired and sore muscles.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil for Hair Health. This essential oil is a remedy for dandruff. It can also help scrub off dead skin cells in the scalp. Peru Balsam Essential Oil contains Benzyl Benzoate which is helpful in killing lice in the hair. This oil is also commonly used as ingredients to shampoo and soaps.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil for Dental Health. This essential oil is an ingredient in dental hygienic products which can fight bacteria. This is also helpful in treating various infections that weakens the teeth and gums. Also, this is used as toothpaste and toothpowder ingredient.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil for Skin Care. This oil is a good way to treat dry skin and cure various skin diseases such as scabies, ringworm and rashes, among others. This is also beneficial when you have chapped skin. You can apply it directly on the affected area in moderate amounts.
Peru Balsam Essential Oil Side Effects
Peru Balsam Essential Oil, although it has various benefits to the body, is not for everyone. There are people who are extremely allergic to this because of the resin which appears to be one of the most common causes of allergies. When you are exposed to Peru Balsam Essential Oil and you happen to be allergic to it, it may cause swelling, dermatitis and inflammation on the tongue, lips and mouth. In severe cases, blisters may occur. Rhinitis may be one of the worst side effects of Peru Balsam Essential Oil.
How to Use Peru Balsam Essential Oil
There are a variety of uses for Peru Balsam Essential Oil. You may use it as:
- Use an oil diffuser or oil burner. You may also smell it directly from the bottle.
- Massage oil. You may combine it with olive oil and other essential oils and rub it on the skin or affected areas.
- Apply directly on wounds, burns or cuts.
- This may only be consumed but upon the advice of your physician.
How to Make Peru Balsam Essential Oil
Peru Balsam oil is derived from the resinous substance from the trunk of the Myroxylon Pereirae. The resin is taken out by making a V-shape incision in the bark. The resin is collected, dried, scraped off and filtered. The method used in coming up with Peru Balsam oil is the steam distillation method.
Peru Balsam Essential Oil Recipe
There are many recipes using Peru Balsam Essential Oil and some of these are as follows:
Mix a few drops of Peru Balsam Essential Oil to unscented body lotion. You may add drops of other essential oil such as Lavender or Patchouli. Mix well. Apply generously to dry skin or cracked feet.
Fill a 12 ounce spray bottle with water and add 50-60 drops of Peru Balsam Essential Oil, 50 drops of Atlas or Cedarwood Essential Oil and 45 drops of Frankincese. Mix and shake rigorously. Don’t forget to shake it well before each use. This is very effective in dealing with bacteria in the air as well as dust mites.
Where to Buy Peru Balsam Essential Oil
Peru Balsam Essential Oil is available at your local health store and grocery stores. You may also purchase this oil online via Amazon.com. Top brands includes Eden Botanicals and Young Living.
More Information on Peru Balsam Essential Oil
- Before using Peru Balsam Essential Oil, make sure that you use it with extreme precaution. It is advised that you do a skin patch test before putting it in your skin or ingesting it.
- Never use Peru Balsam Essential Oil undiluted.
- Aside from having a relaxing effect on the mind and body when diffused, because of its powerful antibacterial quality, Peru Balsam Oil can also kills species of bacteria in the air. You can add this with other essential oils such as tea tree or eucalyptus for a more powerful solution.
- Just like other essential oils and medications, children, pregnant and lactating mothers should consult their medical professional about using Peru Balsam Oil.
- If you are under medication, consult your doctor before using this essential oil.
- Peru Balsam Essential Oil blends well with Eucalyptus, Patchouli, Petitgrain, Rose, Ylang Ylang, BlackPepper, Jasmine and Sandalwood essential oils for the perfect and more aromatic relaxing scent.