Perilla or Perilla frutescens is an herb that is often mistaken for basil because of their resemblance. It is usually green or purple in color. This is also known as “Wild basil”, “Summer coleus”, “Purple mint”, “Wild red basil”, “Chinese basil”, “Rattlesnake weed”, and in Japan it is known as “Shiso”. You can eat the leaves raw or cooked. This plant is highly valued both in culinary and medicine because when oil is extracted from the seed and leaf, it can be used as cooking oil and it is one of the highest source of essential fatty acids and contains healthy plant oils called ALA or alpha-linolenic acid commonly known as Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9 which are quite good for the heart and skin and overall health.
Perilla Essential Oil may be more renowned for its contribution to a variety of recipes but through the years, more and more medicinal and industrial benefits are discovered. Now it is being used as component to cosmetic and because of its woody, minty and fragrant smell it is being used as perfume. It is also used as massage oil and for aromatherapy purposes to relax a tired mind and body.
Perilla Essential Oil is also known to be very good for people with sensitive skin because it is delicate yet can protect the skin from stressors, leaving the skin rejuvenated and refreshed. Moreover, more and more people are being interested in this oil because it’s anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and other benefits that will greatly improve the total functionality and wellness of your body.
Perilla Essential Oil Benefits
Perilla Essential Oil has a variety of health benefits to the body. This includes:
- Good source of antioxidants
- Relief for skin allergies
- Prevent the growth of cancer cells
- Stress and anxiety reliever
- Improves nervous system health
- Lowers cholesterol
- Prevents heart attacks, stroke and hypertension
- Treats stomach ache
- Relief to muscle spasms
- Cure for rheumatoid arthritis
- Treats common cold, flu, asthma and other respiratory problems
- Treats conjunctivitis or pink eye
- Improves learning ability and brain health
Perilla Essential Oil Uses
- Perilla Essential Oil as Antioxidant. This oil contains various important anti-oxidants that can protect your body from free-radicals. This also improves the skin which lessens the appearance of wrinkles, pimples, impurities and gives back the youthful glow of your skin. This can boost the immune system as well.
- Perilla Essential Oil as Anti-Allergen. Because of the rosmarinic acid composition of Perilla Essential Oil, this can help in preventing allergies and causes of asthma attacks. This also helps in preventing the production of histamine in the body.
- Perilla Essential Oil as Anti- Inflammatory. This oil can help suppress the inflammation and swelling in the body because of its Omega-3 fatty acid component and rosmarinic acid compound.
- Perilla Essential Oil as Anti-Carcinogenic. Because of the strong antioxidants and fatty acids found in Perilla Essential Oil, this can improve the body’s reaction to oxidative stress. This also prevents Carcinoma which is a cancer of the skin and tissues. Furthermore, the use of Perilla Essential Oil can also help in the progression of breast, colon and liver cancer.
- Perilla Essential Oil as Relief to Stress and Anxiety. This oil can relax the muscles and give a relaxing sensation to the mind, body and emotional state. This can also help in fighting anxiety and depression as well.
- Perilla Essential Oil for Total Nervous System and Brain Health. Because of the essential fatty acids, Perilla Essential Oil is important in overall nervous system health. Since the greatest component of Perilla Essential Oil is Omega 3 Fatty Acids, this can help in improving brain function. This can also help fight degenerative diseases in the nervous system such as Dementia, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases. In addition to this, it is studied that children who are exposed to Perilla Essential Oil have higher learning ability.
- Perilla Essential Oil to Lower Cholesterol. This oil is composed of good fats which can inhibit high cholesterol levels which are the primary source of stroke or heart attacks.
- Perilla Essential Oil to Improve Cardio Vascular Health. Because of the fatty acids found in Perilla Essential Oil, it can help improve the functioning of the heart, promote better blood flow and lead to healthier arteries and veins. This can greatly help people who have heart problems as well.
- Perilla Essential Oil as Cure to Rheumatoid Arthritis. Because the components of Perilla Essential Oil primarily prevent tissue damage, this can help in conditions like Rheumatoid Arthritis especially during the early stages so it won’t progress.
- Perilla Essential Oil as Cure to Respiratory Problems. This oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can give great relief to the respiratory system. This also helps in improving the airways as cough expectorant. This also aids in relief for flu and colds.
- Perilla Essential Oil as Treatment to Conjunctivitis or Pink Eye. Perilla oil has antibacterial properties that can be used as treatment to sore eyes or conjunctivitis.
- Perilla Essential Oil as Skin Care. When applied topically, this oil can help in removing dead skin cells, small cysts, clogged pores and acne.
Perilla Essential Oil Side Effects
There are no known adverse effects of Perilla Essential Oil to the body but it should be used in moderation. Although this is a cure for allergies, some people are allergic to it. This may lead to allergic skin reaction such as rashes and dermatitis. This should also be taken upon the advice of a medical professional.
How to Use Perilla Essential Oil
Perilla Essential Oil can be used as:
- Aromatherapy wherein you can use an oil diffuser to inhale its nutty, minty and woody fragrance which can relax the body and mind.
- Topically as massage oil or oil rub for skin care
- This can also be consumed orally because unlike other essential oils, there is no known toxicity associated in ingesting Perilla Essential Oil.
How to Make Perilla Essential Oil
Through the steam distillation method, Perilla Essential Oil is produced. The oil is mainly extracted from the seed of the plant. Although oil can be extracted from the leaves as well, it is studied that oil from the seed has higher doses of essential fatty acids. When combined, this can provide exceptional benefits in one’s health.
Perilla Essential Oil Recipe
One of the many benefits of Perilla Essential Oil is that it is a great in skin care. This DIY recipe can help in achieving that wonderful glow.
What you need:
- Perilla Essential Oil
- Unscented Body Lotion
- Raw Coconut Oil
- In a clean bowl, place 8-10 tablespoons of raw coconut oil and add 10 drops of Perilla Essential Oil.
- Stir the mixture carefully for 10 minutes.
- In another container, put one bottle of body lotion and mix your initial mixture of Perilla Essential oil and coconut oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Close the container and let it stand for 6-8 hours.
- Apply generously on skin.
Where to Buy Perilla Essential Oil
Perilla Essential Oil is available online at Amazon.com and at your local health and grocery stores.
More Information on Perilla Essential Oil
- It hasn’t been studied that Perilla Essential Oil is unsafe to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding but it is highly recommended that expecting and lactating mothers should not use this oil unless recommended by the doctor.
- Perilla Essential Oil should also be taken with caution when you are under medication.
- Even in using it as food additive, it should be used in moderation.