Pennyroyal Essential Oil comes from the extracted leaves of the plant Penny Royal (Mentha pulegium). It lives by its genus Mentha because it literally smells minty. Pennyroyal is also called Coyote Mint, Dwarf Thyme, or Wild Bergamot in some places.
The extraction of the plant’s flowering parts and leaves is carried on through steam distillation. In this process, main chemical constituents are drawn out such as menthone, neo menthone, iso menthone, and pulegone. Although Pennyroyal Essential Oil has a lot of health benefits to offer, it is filled with high pulegone content which makes it poisonous. The toxicity is due to the pulegone that metabolizes into methanofuran. Menthofuran is considered as a liver toxin that causes death. However, if it is handled well with appropriate dosage, the oil can save lives.
Pennyroyal Essential Oil is commonly used in the fragrance trade for its earthy mint odor. It partially blends with other herbal plants such as citronella, lavender, sage, rosemary, and germanium. Contradictory to its toxicity, some people use it as a food flavoring. Studies show negative effects in the body and internal use is highly discouraged. In addition, the oil is not allowed to be applied directly on skin unless it is diluted.
Pennyroyal Essential Oil Benefits
The pleasing benefits of this oil are due to the complex interaction of the main chemical constituents of Pennyroyal Essential Oil. Listed here are the primary benefits one can get from the said oil:
- Removes toxins (e.g. uric acid) from the body
- Strengthens the gum
- Stimulates secretion of digestive juices thereby enhancing digestion and metabolism
- Decongests lungs and respiratory pathway
- Relieves pain brought by arthritis and rheumatism
Pennyroyal Essential Oil Uses
The oil offers a wide scope of uses and here are just some of those:
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as an Antimicrobial and Antibacterial. The oil’s toxicity to humans is correlated with its ability to kill microbes. It is highly lethal to extremely small organisms such as bacteria and fungi. A small dose of the oil protects the users from infections.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as an Anti-rheumatic and Anti-arthritic. The oil numbs the nerves. When ingested, it can cause stimulating and cordial effects in the circulatory system. As a depurative, it purifies and detoxifies the body from uric acid. The increase in uric acid levels worsens rheumatism. Suitable intake of Pennyroyal Essential Oil eradicates its painful effects.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as an Anti-hysteric. Psychological disorders, such as hysteria and anxiety that often comes with fainting, convulsion and, unconscious violent acts, are treated through the use of Pennyroyal Essential Oil. The oil has effects on the nervous system, especially the brain, for it controls hysteric attacks. Hysterical patients often suffer from risking their lives through unconsciously putting up the fire, drowning, falling from buildings, etc. People with this type of disorder are most likely suicidal in nature.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as an Antiseptic. Wounds that are not treated properly, as well as internal organs (e.g. uterus, kidney, urethra, urethra, etc.), lead to sepsis. This phenomenon relates to the infections caused by germs. Pennyroyal Essential Oil solves this problem and is advised to be taken in mild doses.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as an Astringent. The oil strengthens the gums, making it contract and have a tighter grip on teeth. However, ingestion of this oil also tightens other muscles of the body. It lifts the facial muscles and strengthens hair roots. Moreover, it stops hemorrhage through blood vessel contraction.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as a Cordial. The oil behaves as a cordial, a substance that stimulates blood circulation. It warms up the body by releasing heat. This effect relieves colds and fever.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as a Decongestant. Colds, cough, and fever are just some of the causes of viral infection inside the lungs. To loosen up the phlegm and decongest catarrh in the respiratory tract, the oil is advised to be ingested in mild doses.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as a Depurative. The oil acts as a depurative, a substance that purifies the blood. Since it has the ability to neutralize toxins present in the blood, it promotes blood circulation through the appropriate combination of fresh oxygen with blood.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as a Digestive. The oil facilitates digestion by stimulating the gastrointestinal juice secretion.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as an Emenagogue. The oil is beneficial for women who experience irregular menstruation. It acts as an emmenagogue, a substance that promotes the production of hormones related to menstrual cycles such as estrogen and progesterone. Lack of these hormones leads to delayed or blocked menstruation.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as an Insecticide. The oil repels and kills insects and is often mixed to sprays, vaporizers, and fumigants.
- Pennyroyal Essential Oil as a Stomachic. Mild doses of this oil can treat an upset stomach. It heals stomach infection as it normalizes the acid-base ratio inside the stomach. This is done through stimulating the acid secretion. It also activates the bile, soothing the body from digestive tract inflammation.
Pennyroyal Oil Side Effects
The oil’s direct application on skin and internal ingestion can cause damaging effects to the body if used in inappropriate amounts. It causes internal organ damage (e.g. kidney, liver, etc.) and nervous system breakdown. If untreated, it causes nausea, stomachache, fever, confusion, vomiting, seizures, dizziness, high blood pressure, abortion, and restlessness.
Some studies show that a two-week exposure and intake of Pennyroyal Essential Oil can lead to death. Special precautions must be done for the following:
- Pregnant and Breast-feeders. The oil contracts the uterus thereby upholding abortion.Infants who absorbed the oil have been found to suffer from serious liver and nervous system damage. The oil is not advised for internal ingestion for it might lead to death.
- People with Kidney Disease. The oil irritates the kidney thereby worsening the disease.
- People with Liver Disease. Existing liver disease can be triggered by the internal application of this oil.
How to Use Pennyroyal Essential Oil
Due to its toxic nature, Pennyroyal Essential Oil is not suitable for aromatherapy. However, listed below are some of the ways on how to acquire the numerous benefits of the oil:
- Internal Use. The oil product that is safe for use must be approved by FDA. Assure a high-quality product from trusted distributors. In this way, Pennyroyal Essential Oil can be used for further dilution.
- Folk medicine introduced Pennyroyal as a tea. Nowadays, people add a small drop of the oil to hot water. This provides relaxation to a bothered mind.
- Insect Repellant. The dilution ratio of the oil must be 0.025. About a drop or two in a teaspoon must be diluted to a solution. This gives a 98.6% success in killing insects and dust mites within an hour of spraying it in the area.
How to Make Pennyroyal Essential Oil
Extraction of the oil from its leaves and flowering parts involves the process called steam distillation. Shown below is an overview of the process:
- Extract the leaves and flowers of Pennyroyal through a passing steam system. This makes use of varying vaporization temperatures of the different components of the plant parts. The oil is extracted after it has passed the distillation column.
- Make use of the varying solubility of the components present in the plant parts to separate unwanted components. The oil has a lesser solubility than other components at a given boiling temperature.
- After that, release the oil. No damage can be found in its delicate components. At this point, the water vapor and oil are returned to their liquid form in the condensing apparatus.
- Separate the two components left through the Florentine separator. Place the extracted Pennyroyal Essential Oil in a sterile container.
Pennyroyal Essential Oil Recipe
- Insect Repellant. To repel and kill insects, add a small drop of Pennyroyal Essential Oil to one drop of Citronella. The oil is highly concentrated and it has to be diluted first before the user can consume it.
- General Dilution for Internal Purposes. To reduce risks of unwanted effects in the body, add a drop or two to the spoon. Mix it well with a carrier oil. The solution must be steam-free. This is an indication that the solution is safe to use.
Where to Buy Pennyroyal Essential Oil
Pennyroyal Essential Oil is only available to some countries. However, if you are interested in purchasing, there are online sites (eBay, Amazon, and PureFormulas) that sell this oil at around $4 to $8. Known and trusted brands are the following: Eden’s Garden, Fulton Cultural, Creation Pharm, and Esoteric Oils.
More Information on Pennyroyal Essential Oil
- Not recommended for dogs use because it causes neurotic convulsions
- Used in the ancient times as a flavoring and part of Roman cookbooks
- Can cause blindness if it is heavily exposed to the eyes
- Can tone the muscles and skin
- Clears up food poisoning