Palma Rosa is a type of grass that is used for treating various diseases using the essential oil extracted from it. There are two varieties available, Motia and Sofia. They are pretty similar, but there is a slight difference in the smell. Both types are used as essential oils. It simply boils down to preference.
The dried grass is distilled in order to be used as an essential oil. The oil smells like rose oil. Hence, it is called Palma Rosa. Most people make use of it as an alternative to rose oil when it is not available, although it has benefits that are unique to it. Aside from its health benefits, it is also used as a flavoring agent for food and beverage. You might not have heard of this essential oil before, but it has tons of uses.
This essential oil is taken from green grass. Hence, it somehow shares qualities with lemongrass and citronella. However, in terms of smell, it is closer to rose. In the past, Turks mixed this essential oil with more expensive rose oil. Given the fact that rose oil is more expensive, they gain more income since they are advertising this mixture as 100% pure rose oil. This gained a negative reputation for palma rosa oil. However, when people started realizing the benefits they can get from using palma rosa, they were sold.
One of the main functions of Palma Rosa Essential Oil is cure to eczema. It can also cure other minor skin conditions. It has the ability to deal with dry skin as it provides moisture. It can also deal with psoriasis which is more complicated. Palma Rosa is also known as the Indian or Turkish Geranium. It is native to India and is widely used because it is easy to extract a lot of essential oils from it. With its ability to treat skin conditions and other problems at an affordable cost, it is now getting more popular.
Palma Rosa Essential Oil Benefits
You are going to experience these benefits if you start using this essential oil now:
- Treats eczema, psoriasis, dry skin and other related conditions
- Used as antibacterial and antiseptic
- Helps inhibits germs and other bacteria and prevent them from spreading in the body
- Moisturizes the skin and keeps it from getting dry
- Relieves people from stress, fatigues and anxiety
- Cures cracks and sores
- Helps athletes recover faster from injuries
- Neutralizes bad odor
Palma Rosa Essential Oil Uses
- Palma Rosa Essential Oil as Fever Relief. Given its antibacterial and antiviral properties, it has the ability to make people suffering from fever feel better.
- Palma Rosa Essential Oil as Immune System Booster. Not only does it have the ability to kill bacteria and viruses, it also prevents them from coming back. If they attack the body again, your body’s natural defense system is activated.
- Palma Rosa Essential Oil as Anti-infection. The essential oil has anti-infection qualities that help a lot in preventing the spread of bacteria in the body. Just use it on the affected area and cover it with gauze for maximum effects.
- Palma Rosa Essential Oil for Cell Repair. There are a lot of reasons why cells are torn apart or damaged. It could be due to your movements or aging. This essential oil has the ability to speed up recovery or help the body produce new cells faster.
- Palma Rosa Essential Oil as Skin Protection. This is the main reason why this essential oil is popular. It has countless benefits when it comes to skin protection. From simple problems like dry skin to more serious issues like eczema and psoriasis, this essential oil has the ability to treat them all or at least prevent them from getting worse.
- Palma Rosa Essential Oil as Remedy for High Blood Pressure. It has the ability to improve blood flow in the body. It means that you won’t suffer from high blood pressure or other heart diseases anymore.
- Palma Rosa Essential Oil as Anti-aging Agent. It helps reduce wrinkles and smoothen the skin to make you appear younger and fresher.
- Palma Rosa Essential Oil as Relief from Wound. Wounds can be very painful. They also make your body more vulnerable to infections. With this essential oil, wounds will heal faster and they won’t be susceptible to bacteria anymore.
Palma Rosa Essential Oil Side Effects
This essential oil is considered nontoxic and non-sensitizing. Therefore, it is completely safe for the skin. It is also a non-irritant. Just make sure to consult with your doctor just in case you have allergies to this type of grass or its related scent. For pregnant women, it is advised not to use this essential oil as in any other essential oils. It might also have a bland or even irritating smell for some people. It is best to blend it with better smelling essential oils like rosemary and bergamot.
How to Use Palma Rosa Essential Oil
These are the methods of using Palma Rosa Essential Oil.
- Aromatherapy. Using a diffuser, you may inhale this essential oil to start feeling relaxed. You may also inhale it directly as it is nontoxic.
- Topical. You can apply it on your arms and legs for relaxation. However, if you have facial skin issues, you can also apply it directly to your facial skin. Another way is to blend it with your facial serum to rejuvenate the skin. Apply it to a part of your skin first to check for potential allergies.
- For treating wounds. You can use it for treating wounds by simply mixing it with water. Clean the wound using the mixture.
How to Make Palma Rosa Essential Oil
The process of extracting essential oil from palma rosa is called steam distillation. To start the process, dried grass is harvested first. This should be done prior to harvest. The main reason why its oil is extracted is because of its components like linalool and geranyl acetate that have health benefits. Once the oil is extracted, it can be stored in a bottle and kept in a room temperature. Most people use it as substitute for rose oil because it is significantly cheaper, but the smell is pretty much the same. The benefits are also the same.
Palma Rosa Essential Oil Recipe
If you are using this essential oil for dry skin, you can add 8 drops and mix it with 4 drops of carrot seed essential oil plus 4 drops of roman chamomile essential oil. You can also add 15mL of avocado oil. The moisture created out of all these essential oils will surely help you fight dry skin. You may also use it as a bedtime bath blend. You just need 1 drop of this essential oil plus 1 drop each of lavender and chamomile essential oils. Just mix them in your bath water and you will feel refreshed afterwards.
Where to Buy Palma Rosa Essential Oil
Palma Rosa Essential Oil is quite difficult to find especially in local stores, but you can buy one online. Check out Floracopeia and Young Living as they offer high quality and authentic essential oils.
More Information on Palma Rosa Essential Oil
- Palma Rosa is technically a wild grass, growing extensively in Ethiopia. Despite the fact that it is just a wild grass, it has a heavenly scent. Hence, people are so obsessed with it.
- Spider and varicose veins seem permanent. However, this essential oil has the ability to treat those issues.
- It is perfect for blending with lemon, patchouli, lavender and geranium. You may also use rose oil if you want to get the actual rose scent. However, since it is already a strong scent, the best blend is with coconut oil to give it a milder scent.
- It is a non-toxic essential oil which makes it safe even for ingestion. However, be careful in taking it without advice from your doctor or an aromatherapist just to be safe.
- It has been rated as Generally Regarded as Safe or GRAS by the Food and Drug Administration in the US.