Oregano Essential Oil has plenty of health benefits that users can get when they incorporate the oil into their daily routine or whenever they are ill. The medicinal benefits of oregano oil can be credited to its various properties such as anti-parasitic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, digestive, anti-allergenic, antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. These properties alone are enough to produce amazing benefits to the body.
Oregano Essential Oil has already been in use for centuries, most notably in ancient Greece where Greeks believed that oregano oil’s antibacterial properties are effective in treating wounds or infections on the skin. The oil was also used as an agent to protect food from being spoiled, which is cause by bacteria.
Thymol and carvacol are the main components of Oregano Essential Oil, which are responsible for its antioxidant and cleansing properties. Oregano has since expanded its uses away from the kitchen and into the medicine cabinets of many people.
Oregano Essential Oil Benefits
Oregano is no longer confined in kitchen cupboards as a spice and flavoring. It has branched out into medicinal purposes in the form of Oregano Essential Oil. Here are the benefits you can get from taking it.
- It serves as an expectorant. Respiratory problems such as cough and colds are relieved by Oregano Essential Oil.
- It gets rid of inflammation. Its anti-inflammatory property is very effective in reducing swelling in the body, whether it is external or internal.
- It protects the body against viruses. Its antiviral property allows the body to ward of harmful viruses that can cause havoc in the body.
- It acts as an antifungal agent. Fungi can cause infections as well as viruses and bacteria. What Oregano Essential Oil does is it protects the body against fungi that may inhabit the body.
- It can get rid of parasites. Intestinal worms are the main targets of Oregano Essential Oil. When ingested, these worms can say goodbye to your intestines as they will succumb from the anti-parasitic property of the oil. Lice, bed bugs and ticks are not spared either.
- It is an effective antioxidant. The body has plenty of free radicals from the food and drinks that are taken over the years. Taking oregano oil will help flush out these free radicals and regenerate the body’s overall health.
- It can help women regulate their periods. Oregano oil can delay the beginning of menopause and menstruation can be regulated.
- It relieves allergies. Oregano oil has a sedative effect, thereby calming down the hyper-sensitivity that a person experiences when allergies attack.
- It helps in digestion. Better digestion is promoted by using oregano oil. Better digestion equates to better overall health.
Although Oregano Essential Oil is very potent and concentrated, it can be taken safely if the right dose is followed. The health benefits that it gives far outweigh the risks it may pose if the oil is taken in very high doses.
Oregano Essential Oil Uses
- Oregano Essential Oil as Cooking Aid. It still has not lost its power in the kitchen. A few drops of the oil into dishes will give them the aroma and distinct taste that oregano gives off.
- Oregano Essential Oil as Topical Solution. Oregano oil can be mixed with carrier oil such as coconut oil and can be used to treat wounds and make them heal a lot faster.
- Oregano Essential Oil as Insect Repellent. Mixing it with coconut oil and lathering it onto the skin will repel insects especially mosquitos. This is especially useful during outdoor activities.
- Oregano Essential Oil as Rash Reliever. Combining the oil with coconut oil and applying on diaper rash will eliminate the red spots quickly.
- Oregano Essential Oil for Psoriasis. Applying a diluted mixture into affected areas will help alleviate flare-ups of psoriasis.
- Oregano Essential Oil as Dandruff Relief. Dandruff is no match against oregano oil mixed with shampoo. But it should be used with caution not to get anything in the eyes.
- Oregano Essential Oil as Mouthwash. The oil’s antibacterial property will leave the mouth clean and fresh.
- Oregano Essential Oil for Cleaning. Several drops of oregano oil into cleaning agent will boost its disinfectant effects.
- Oregano Essential Oil for Laundry. Adding a few drops of the oil to the laundry will help eliminate parasites and bacteria that may have stuck to clothing.
- Oregano Essential Oil to Prevent Mold and Fungal Growth. Mixing the oil with water and spraying it in the shower will prevent mold and fungi from growing.
Oregano Essential Oil Side Effects
Oregano Essential Oil can cause irritation if it comes in contact with the eyes, nose or mucus membranes and other sensitive spots in the body in its pure state, as it is considered a hot oil. Pregnant, breastfeeding women and people with other health conditions should consult a doctor or a qualified aroma therapist prior to use to avoid any reactions that may harm the baby. It should always be kept out of children’s reach to avoid ingestion that can cause severe reactions to the body.
How to Use Oregano Essential Oil
Here are some ways on how to use Oregano Essential Oil for various purposes.
- To maintain a strong immune system, one drop of Oregano Essential Oil everyday can do wonders to the body.
- As a flavoring, just one drop of the oil into sauces and dishes should be enough for the flavor to be infused into the recipe.
- When used as a cleaning aid, put 10 drops into a spray bottle filled with water.
- For ingestion to relieve health disorders, just a couple of drops diluted in carrier oil such as coconut oil or at least 4 ounces of water or any liquid should be adequate.
- Three or four drops of the oil can be added into a diffuser for deodorizing a room.
- A couple of drops onto coconut oil are all that’s needed if it will be used as a topical agent.
How to Make Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano Essential Oil is extracted through the common method of extraction, which is steam distillation. There is water at the bottom of the distiller and it is the part that is heated to produce the steam that will then travel to the flask where the oregano leaves are placed. The steam will release the oils from the leaves which are then transferred to another area of the distiller where the resulting essential oil is stored.
Oregano Essential Oil Recipe
The procedure for making a homemade Oregano Essential Oil can be a little time consuming, but the resulting oil will be worth it.
- Fresh oregano leaves
- Carrier oil, such as olive oil or almond oil
- Pot for boiling water
- Glass jar
- Boil water in a pot.
- Chop the leaves and place them in a glass jar. Pour the carrier oil, fully submerging the leaves in the jar.
- As the water boils, place the jar into the pot. This step will extract the oil from the leaves.
- As the oil has been extracted from the oregano leaves, remove the jar from the pot.
- Place the jar on an area where there is direct sunlight for a couple of weeks, shaking the jar every now and then.
- After two weeks, strain the mixture into the container to get rid of the leaves.
Where to Buy Oregano Essential Oil
doTERRA Oregano Essential Oil is one of the popular brands of oregano oil that you can buy off the Internet. The brand has its own website where you can purchase a bottle or two. There are other sites that sell oregano oil. You can also make your own at home. Look for local manufacturers of Oregano Essential Oil in your area or in supermarkets and aromatherapy stores.
Oregano Essential Oil FAQs
Is it safe for use by pregnant women?
Before using Oregano Essential Oil, pregnant women should consult their doctor first as the oil helps regulate menstruation. This being said, improper use of the essential oil during pregnancy may cause miscarriage.
Is it safe to use in high doses?
Just a few drops of oregano oil are needed for each use. And it should be diluted in carrier oil such as coconut oil if it is going to be used as a topical agent or at least several ounces of liquid for ingestion. High doses of undiluted oregano oil may cause irritation on the skin and sensitive areas. Ingesting undiluted oregano oil in high amounts may cause more harm than good.
What are the nutrients found in Oregano Essential Oil?
Vitamin A, C, E, calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, niacin, manganese, boron, copper and magnesium are just some of the nutrients that you can get from oregano oil.
Can it be used long term?
Essentially, Oregano Essential Oil is for short term use only, in a period of seven to ten days, when used as a medicinal treatment. Any longer than this period needs the approval of a doctor or a qualified aroma therapist.