Mullein has been a popular medicinal plant for centuries. Each part of the plant has the ability to treat something, so the flowers, leaves, and roots of the mullein plant are all used to treat various ailments, such as asthma, diarrhea, coughs, and infections caused by wounds.
The mullein plant thrives in Europe, South America, Central America, and other temperate areas. There are two types, the common mullein and the wavy leaf mullein. Both can produce the essential oil, but the common mullein is preferred since it can produce more. The essential oil’s components include phenolic acids, flavonoids, catalpol, mucilage, tannin, rotenone, coumarin, and triterpene, which give Mullein Essential Oil its various properties. It can be applied topically or ingested to obtain its effects.
Mullein Essential Oil Benefits
Mullein Essential Oil has an impressive range of uses and benefits, due to its ingredients. It can soothe, disinfect, and relieve pain, and can do many other things. Here are the top benefits of Mullein Essential Oil:
- Treatment of ear infections
- Boost immunity
- Disinfect wounds and cuts
- Relieve respiratory problems
- Increase urination
- Relax the body and mind
- Provide pain relief
- Moisturize the skin
- Hair care
- Diarrhea relief
- Cold sore treatment
The disinfectant property of Mullein Essential Oil is its most important benefit. The mullein plant has been used for centuries to treat colds, respiratory infections, and skin infections. Recently, some research has been conducted to see Mullein Essential Oil’s effectiveness on viral infections like influenza and herpes, and so far it looks promising.
It is important to note that not all mullein species can be used, as some species are toxic, particularly N. phlomoides, which is in fact used to weaken animals for easier capture.
Mullein Essential Oil Uses
- Mullein Essential Oil for Treatment of Ear Infections. Mullein Essential Oil can be used pure or mixed with other oils or herbs as a natural treatment for infections of the ears. In fact, many mainstream stores carry medicine for ear infection that contain Mullein Essential Oil, which is an indication of how effective it is. It’s great for both humans and pets. People have used Mullein Essential Oil to treat ear infections in dogs.
- Mullein Essential Oil to Boost Immunity. Mullein is known to have the ability to strengthen and enhance the circulation of white blood cells in the body. These white blood cells are the ones responsible for fighting infections in the body both internally and externally. Stronger white blood cells mean that the body is better protected against bacterial and viral attacks.
- Mullein Essential Oil to Disinfect Wounds and Cuts. Mullein is a natural antiseptic, so it can kill bacteria around and protect wounds and cuts from being infected. Mullein Essential Oil can be applied around a wound to protect it from tetanus and other infections, by not only killing bacteria at the application sites, but also by encouraging platelets and white blood cells to converge around the area to hasten up the healing process.
- Mullein Essential Oil as a Diuretic. Increasing urination helps the body flush away toxins, such as excess salt, uric acid, and bile. Urination also helps reduce the amount of fat in the body, and helps clear the kidney of harmful deposits. Mullein Essential Oil is a natural diuretic, and increases both the quantity and frequency of urination.
- Mullein Essential Oil for Relaxation. This essential oil has a relaxing effect on muscles, brain, and nerves, making it perfect for treatment of stress, anxiety, anger, and in lowering blood pressure to decrease chances of heart attacks. Painful muscle cramps can also be treated by applying Mullein Essential Oil on the sore areas. Because of the relaxing effect, mullein has also reportedly helped people sleep better and to treat acute insomnia.
- Mullein Essential Oil for Pain Relief. Mullein Essential Oil can be used as a natural painkiller and anesthetic. The analgesic properties of mullein can provide relief from headaches, toothaches, colds, sinusitis, and even bone and joint pains. This can be achieved by either taking Mullein Essential Oil internally or topically, applied over the area where the pain is felt.
- Mullein Essential Oil to Moisturize the Skin. Mullein leaves have also been used to soften and protect the skin. Instead of using expensive cream, apply Mullein Essential Oil on dry skin. This will also protect the skin from dirt, dust, and toxins, and can also treat and prevent eczema, acne, blackheads, and other skin problems.
- Mullein Essential Oil for Hair Care. Mullein Essential Oil is a great anti-dandruff solution due to its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. On top of that, the vitamin and mineral content of Mullein Essential Oil makes it a great conditioner as well. Use on the scalp to be free from dandruff and to have better, stronger hair.
- Mullein Essential Oil for Diarrhea. Mullein Essential Oil’s antimicrobial properties also work in the digestive system. It can kill bacteria that cause diarrhea without any side effects, which makes it an ideal inclusion in any traveler’s emergency kit.
- Mullein Essential Oil for Cold Sores. Because of its anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, Mullein Essential Oil can be effective in healing cold sores that are caused by HSV-1 and HSV-2 viruses.
Mullein Essential Oil Side Effects
Generally, Mullein Essential Oil has no side effects as long as used properly and in the short term. There have been rare cases of dermatitis from mullein plants. As such, always perform a spot check first before applying on skin.
Mullein Essential Oil has also been reported to interact with anti-diabetic drugs and with muscle relaxants. If you are using any of these, consult with a doctor first before using Mullein Essential Oil.
How to Use Mullein Essential Oil
Mullein Essential Oil can be added to tea, applied directly on skin, or mixed with other formulations, depending on how you want to use it.
For internal use, it’s best to use Mullein Essential Oil in tea by adding 1 to 2 drops and mixing thoroughly. This can be done up to three times per day.
For wounds, cuts, and muscle pain, and other external infections, simply apply the essential oil directly onto the skin. This has an added moisturizing effect to prevent your skin from becoming dry. For ear infections, use 1-2 drops twice or thrice daily until the ear infection heals.
It can be mixed with shampoo to condition hair and fight dandruff.
How to Make Mullein Essential Oil
Gather mullein flowers and place them inside a jar. Pour enough olive oil to cover the flowers, seal the jar tightly, and leave in a cool, dark place for four to six weeks. If using fresh flowers, the jar can be placed in a saucepan over low heat for about three days.
Mullein Essential Oil Recipe
Mullein Essential Oil is the best remedy for ear infections. Make this solution easily using three simple ingredients:
- Garlic, 1 bulb
- Mullein Essential Oil, 10 drops
- Sesame oil, 1 pint
- Crush the garlic and place in a container.
- Mix in the sesame oil and the Mullein Essential Oil, and cover the container and let sit for 3 days.
- Strain the mixture into another container and refrigerate.
- Before using, warm the oil slightly and use a dropper to place 3 or 4 drops into the infected ear.
Where to Buy Mullein Essential Oil
Mullein Essential Oil is available in most health stores due to the ease of production. It’s also readily available online; however some brands are better than others in terms of potency, freshness, and authenticity. Here are some of the best brands to get when buying Mullein Essential Oil: Eden’s Garden, doTerra, Nature’s Answer, Mountain Rose Herbs, Natural Sourcing, Majestic Pure, and Now Foods.
More Information on Mullein Essential Oil
Mullein Essential Oil is safe for use by children to treat ear infections in the short term. For adults, it’s completely safe to use topically and internally, as long as the correct dosages are used. Check with the doctor or follow the instructions in the package for correct doses and frequencies. If symptoms persist or worsen, or if irritation occurs, discontinue use and consult a doctor immediately.
There is no information currently on the effects of Mullein Essential Oil when used by pregnant or breastfeeding women. It is best to avoid usage during these times.
Mullein Essential Oil FAQs
Q: How long should Mullein Essential Oil be used for ear infections?
A: Typically, Mullein Essential Oil should be applied twice or thrice a day for 3 days. In some cases this takes longer, but 3 days is usually enough.
Q: How should Mullein Essential Oil be stored?
A: Like most essential oils, it should be stored in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. This is to preserve its potency and to prevent heat from diminishing its properties.
Q: Are there any dangers of using Mullein Essential Oil?
A: Excessive consumption of any essential oil is dangerous. Use only prescribed amounts. Irritation may occur in a small number of people, so always do a spot check first.
Q: What is the shelf life of Mullein Essential Oil?
A: Mullein Essential Oil has a shelf life of 2 to 3 years.