Moringa Oleifera or Drumstick Tree is natively grown in the Himalayan foothills. It is also produced in different areas like India, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Malawi and other parts of Africa. It has long pods with seeds that is utilized to produce Moringa Essential Oil. It contains high amounts of V B and C. Moringa Essential Oil has a vast range of nutritional benefits and is commonly used to make commercial products like skin lotions, shampoo, and perfumes.
Mandarin Essential Oil is pressed out from the seeds of the Moringa plant also known for its binomial name Moringa oleifera. It is also called Ben Oil due to the remarkable presence of behenic acid, a known compound that is used in making aesthetic products like shampoo and skin lotions because of its moisturizing effect.
Moringa Essential Oil can be obtained through the process of Cold Pressing or Solvent Extraction. It is characterized by its light yellow color, mild taste and is usually odorless.
Benefits of Moringa Essential Oil
Here are some health benefits of Moringa Essential Oil:
- Has anti-inflammatory properties that is known to reduce pain and swelling
- Helps maintain proper bone health and boosts the immune system
- Helps in the prevention of ulcer formation and other gastrointestinal disturbances
- Aids in lowering blood glucose level especially to patients with diabetes
- Helps maintain healthy blood pressure
- Prevents the formation of stones in the kidney and gall bladder
- Has calming and relaxing agents that promotes sleep, reduce stress and is known to be beneficial to patients with insomnia
- Known to treat various skin problems like dry skin, acne, blackheads, reduces scar formation and the like
Moringa Essential Oil Uses
- Moringa Essential Oil as Anti-Inflammatory: This oil can be used to reduce swelling and can provide fast relief from pain once applied on the skin. You can use a few drops of this oil for direct application to the affected area or by gently applying pressure used to massage painful parts of the body.
- Moringa Essential Oil as Antiseptic: It is comprised of chemical substances that prevent the growth of disease-causing microbes and can be used to treat wound infections.
- Moringa Essential Oil as Antimicrobial: With the presence of antibacterial and antifungal components, this oil provides wound protection and helps prevent the accumulation of further infection.
- Moringa Essential Oil as Anti-Aging: With the presence of anti-aging compounds, this oil is often used in beauty regimens to help reduce the presence of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Moringa Essential Oil as an Emollient: It helps moisturize the skin and provides relief from dry skin. It is commonly used in commercially produced beauty products like skin lotions, shampoo and more.
- Moringa Essential Oil as an Exfoliant: This oil is widely used to produce commercial products for aesthetic purposes. It has chemical properties that help rejuvenate the skin by removing dead skin cells from the body.
- Moringa Essential Oil as Enfleurage: This type of essential oil is bound with other fragrant compounds and serve its aesthetic purpose when mixed with perfumes.
- Moringa Essential Oil as Hepatoprotective: This oil is known to have the ability to restore and prevent further damage to the infected liver.
Side Effects of Moringa Essential Oil
Moringa Essential Oil has no known side-effects and is considered safe to use. However, in some studies it is proven to have harmful effects in pregnant women, who should take precautions in taking in or using Moringa Essential Oil. Before using this product, consultation from your medical practitioner is greatly advised.
How to Use Moringa Essential Oil
Here you can find some ways to maximize the use Moringa Essential Oil:
- For Topical Application. With the use of a specified amount of oil, you can directly apply it to treat a certain ailment. You can gently massage the oil in different areas in your body to facilitate relief from pain, reduce the presence of swelling and induce sleep especially for those people with insomnia.
- For Oral Administration. Using an ample amount of this oil, it can be ingested directly or mixed with food to treat various ailments.
How to Make Moringa Essential Oil
Moringa Essential Oil is drawn out from the seeds of Moringa Tree with the use of either of the two processes: cold-pressing or solvent extraction.
Cold-pressing is the most common method used in extracting organic oils from fruits, seeds and plants. In this method, the application of external heat is not required throughout the entire extraction process. However, the presence is noted due to the high temperature applied during deodorization process.
The seeds of the Moringa plant is rolled over a trough to facilitate the passing through of the essential oil. Then, it undergoes centrifugation where separation process begins. You can observe that the oil will rise to the surface, making way for collection and storage.
Solvent Extraction on the other hand is another method used to make Moringa Essential Oil from Moringa seeds. Solvent Extraction is also called liquid partitioning, where the raw organic mixture of the seed is mixed with another solvent and goes through a filtration process to separate the residue from the components of the substance producing its by-product , the essential oil.
Moringa Essential Oil Recipe
You can make your own version of Moringa Essential Oil by just following this simple instruction:
- Roast the Moringa seeds.
- With the use of a mortar and pestle, crush the roasted seeds.
- Add water and bring it to boil. You will notice the formation of oil as it begins to boil.
- As the oil rises to the top of the pan, carefully scoop out the oil.
- Allow to cool and then transfer the oil in an airtight container for safekeeping.
Where to Buy Moringa Essential Oil
Moringa Essential Oil is available for purchase in organic wellness stores. You can also check the Internet for online health shops for fast and easy access. They usually come in different sizes and are stored in sealed containers to keep their potency and attain maximum effectivity.
The following are suggested brands of Moringa Essential Oil: Green Plus Moringa Oil Extract and Moringa O2 Malunggay Therapy Oil.
More information on Moringa Essential Oil
- Moringa Essential Oil is made up of fatty acids mainly Monounsaturated fatty acids and Saturated Fats. It comprises of 70% oleic acid commonly known as Omega-9 and has high contents of behenic acid, this substances help maintain regular blood pressure and keeps your skin smooth.
- It is also rich in vitamin E, a known antioxidant that keeps the skin healthy and helps boost immunity. It has sterols that have anti-lipidaemic and anti-diabetic properties; and flavonoids that reduce inflammation.
- The residue from the extraction of Moringa Essential Oil can be used as a plant fertilizer.
- It can be used in filtration systems to facilitate a natural way of water purification and treatment.
- Moringa Essential Oil is also known to have chemical properties for aesthetic use. It is commercially used in making a variety of beauty products like lip balms, hand lotions, creams, shampoo, body wash, soap, perfumes and the like.
- It can also be used as a preservative, which prevents food contamination.
- This oil is a known lubricant commonly used in oiling small machine parts like watches.