Lime Essential Oil, just like other essential oils from the citrus family, gives off a light top note that makes it favorable to be used in dishes as well as in other products such as cosmetics, fragrances, cleaning and many more. Lime Essential Oil also has beneficial health effects that can help combat certain illnesses. The compounds found in this oil help get rid and prevent certain illnesses from afflicting the body. Lime Essential Oil is concentrated, so a small bottle can last long. Only a few drops for dilution is enough.
And because limes are readily available and are not hard to grow and harvest, Lime Essential Oil is considered one of the most affordably priced essential oils. Aside from its well-known benefits, it was also regarded as an aid to cleanse the spirit and clear the mind in ancient times. Because of its light, tangy and sometimes sweet aroma, it evokes jovial and positive emotions on anyone who uses it.
You can use Lime Essential Oil for many different purposes. Whether it is for cooking, cleaning, for deodorizing a room or for health purposes, you can count on Lime Essential Oil to provide the benefits that you need. The oil is extracted from either fresh or dried lime peels. The method of oil extraction for each type of peel is different. For fresh peels, cold compression is done and steam distillation is done for the dried ones.
Lime Essential Oil is made of various components that provide the health benefits to those who will take the oil. They are Beta Pinene, Alpha Pinene, Myrcene, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Terpinolene, Cineole, Borneol, Geranyl Acetate and Neral Acetate. These components are what make Lime Essential Oil effective in treating different illnesses. These compounds are also popular in various foods such as jams, pickles, desserts, sauces and many others.
Lime Essential Oil Benefits
Lime Essential Oil, being made up of several compounds, gives off many benefits to its user.
- It helps cleanse the body. Lime is a known antioxidant. It purifies the internal organs and gets rid of toxins from the body for better absorption of minerals and vitamins, thereby promoting overall better health.
- Lime Essential Oil acts as a flavor enhancer. Lime has a sweet tangy taste, and perfectly blends with certain dishes to make them more flavorful and aromatic.
- It makes a room achieve a fresh and clean scent. The fragrance that Lime Essential Oil gives off is very conducive for relaxation, as it has a light top note that is not too heavy on the nose. It can be diffused to provide fragrance to a whole room.
- Cleaning is made easier. Adding Lime Essential Oil onto a water spritzer will help you make a room you are cleaning more fragrant. And its acidic property helps in getting rid of grimes and dirt effectively.
- It adds flavor to your favorite beverages. Lime Essential Oil’s sweet, tangy and citrusy taste provides more flavors to beverages such as plain water, smoothies and many more.
- It helps keep skin and hair healthy. A few drops of the oil onto shampoo and facial cleanser will help you achieve healthier skin and hair.
- It can aid in curing illnesses and infections. Lime Essential Oil has antiseptic properties that make healing wounds a lot faster. Infections in the body can also be treated like those in the throat, stomach, mouth and colon.
- It serves as antidepressant. Just the aroma of Lime Essential Oil – sweet, citrusy and light – greatly improves mood. When a person is depressed, inhaling Lime Essential Oil will have a positive cheerful effect.
Lime Essential Oil Uses
- Lime Essential Oil as an Aperitif. Just the smell of lime is enough to evoke the appetite of a person. The gastric juices in the stomach are activated, making the person more inclined to eat.
- Lime Essential Oil as an Antibacterial Agent. Lime is rich in vitamin C, and this vitamin helps boost the immune system. If the immune system is well, it has the ability to fight off harmful bacteria from wreaking havoc in the body.
- Lime Essential Oil as an Antiseptic. The healing process of wounds is accelerated when Lime Essential Oil is applied onto them.
- Lime Essential Oil as Antiviral. It can help protect the body from viral infections that can make the immune system weak and more susceptible to a host of illnesses and diseases.
- Lime Essential Oil as a Disinfectant. Cleaning agents use lime in their ingredients because it is an effective disinfectant. Lime Essential Oil can also be used in food not only for flavoring but also to prevent them from getting spoiled easily. Its antibacterial property wards off bacteria that can inhabit food and make them go bad.
- Lime Essential Oil as a Haemostatic Agent. Lime Essential Oil can contract the blood vessels, which can help stop bleeding.
- Lime Essential Oil as a Restorative Aid. Taking Lime Essential Oil regularly and sparingly, it can help restore the healthy state of the body and the immune system. A healthy body and a strong immune system can effectively fight illnesses from being contracted.
- Lime Essential Oil as a Tonic. Lime Essential Oil can tone muscles and delay the effects of aging such as wrinkles, age spots, hair loss, etc.
- Lime Essential Oil as a Febrifuge. Fever is not an illness itself. It is a symptom that tells you that y our body is contracting an illness. Lime Essential Oil can be used to cure fever, thereby decreasing the chances of an illness from developing.
Lime Essential Oil Side Effects
Cold pressed Lime Essential Oil is phototoxic, meaning when it is applied directly onto the skin and the skin comes in contact with ultraviolet light, it can cause a sunburn-like effect, which can be irritating and painful. On the other hand, steam distilled Lime Essential Oil in non-phototoxic. So if you are aware that you will be in contact with UV light, choose the steam-distilled variety.
How to Use Lime Essential Oil
Lime Essential Oil can be applied onto the skin but it should be diluted prior to application, as the oil is highly potent and may cause allergies if administered in its pure state. It can also be used in cooking; a few drops of the oil into the dish can be added depending on the level of tanginess that you want to achieve. For cleaning, it can also be diluted in water. A few drops of the oil into drinking water will help you achieve its health benefits as well as make your water tastier.
How to Make Lime Essential Oil
Lime Essential Oil can be produced in two ways: by cold compression or by steam distillation. Cold compression uses fresh peels of lime fruit while steam distillation makes use of dried peels.
Lime Essential Oil Recipe
For your very own, Lime Essential Oil, you can take note of this recipe so you can do it in the comfort of your own home.
- Paring knife
- Olive oil
- Wash the limes thoroughly and peel them using the paring knife. Make sure that no pulp adheres to the rind.
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the peels into the pan and simmer for at least ten minutes on medium fire.
- Turn off the fire and cover the pan and let the mixture sit for two and a half hours.
- When the oil is cool enough, drain it using the fine mesh sieve and into a non-reactive container.
- Store at room temperature.
Where to Buy Lime Essential Oil
doTERRA Lime Essential Oil is one of many line essential oil brands you can buy in the market. It can be purchased online from the product’s website. There are many more sites that sell Lime Essential Oils, but before deciding to buy one, you should review the product’s ingredients and specifications beforehand. This way you can be sure that what you are getting is the right product for you. You can also find sellers and manufacturers in your area or you can make your own homemade Lime Essential Oil.
More Information on Lime Essential Oil
Lime Essential Oil should never be used undiluted. It is highly concentrated and applying it directly onto skin may cause allergic reactions such as rashes and irritation. Pregnant, breastfeeding women and children need the supervision of a qualified aroma therapist so that the administration is sure to be the right amount that is safe for them.
People who have pre-existing health conditions such as liver disease, cancer, epilepsy and other health conditions, it is important to consult a doctor to determine if the compounds present in Lime Essential Oil will not interfere with their medication and cause a negative reaction to the body.
Lime Essential Oil is also compatible with other oils. It can be blended with other essential oils such as clary sage, black pepper, cedar wood, ylang ylang, basil, cilantro, grapefruit and lavender.