Lemon Essential Oil is well known for its ability to cleanse, energize, nourish, and many other things. Additionally, it has anti-microbial properties thanks to its chemical composition, and is also effective in repelling insects. The power of Lemon Essential Oil has been recognized for thousands of years, as evidenced in ancient records that detail the usage of lemon and lemon oil for various ailments.
Lemon is one of the most popular fruits in the world, whether for culinary, medical, or therapeutic reasons. Not only does it have a pleasant taste and aroma, it’s also rich in vitamins, especially vitamin C.
A potent antioxidant known as d-limonene is what gives Lemon Essential Oil its power. Proven in ancient practices and by modern research, Lemon Essential Oil is extremely effective in a very wide range of therapeutic, medical, hygienic, and nutrition purposes. Because of this, it is not surprising that Lemon Essential Oil is one of the most popular essential oils in use today.
Research has shown that inhalation of lemon vapor by using a diffuser can directly remedy anxiety and depression by stimulating the production of dopamine and serotonin, which are hormones that regulate mood. In other words, the more of these hormones you have, the happier you become, and lemon can make the brain produce more of them to uplift your mood, as well as improve your focus.
Lemon Essential Oil Benefits
Lemon Essential Oil is so versatile that it’s highly advisable to always keep some within reach because it’s not hard to imagine it being used frequently in the course of daily life. Some of its uses include:
- Skin care
- Immunity booster
- Weight loss
- Cleaning and disinfecting
- Treating candida infections
- Insect repellent
- Hair care
- Relief from stomach problems
- Cure morning sickness
- Wood polish
Lemon Essential Oil Uses
- Lemon Essential Oil for Skin Care. Lemon can do many things for the skin. It can disinfect due to its astringent property, it can remove excess oil on the skin, and help in the treatment of acne due to being an antiseptic. It also helps make skin look refreshed. Adding Lemon Essential Oil to your usual cleanser helps remove dead skin cells.
- Lemon Essential Oil as an Immunity Booster. Due to the naturally high vitamin C content of lemon, Lemon Essential Oil can greatly boost a person’s immune system and make him less prone to getting sick and recover faster from illnesses. It also aids in the transfer of antibodies around the circulatory system by improving circulation.
- Lemon Essential Oil for Weight Loss. There is some anecdotal evidence that adding a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil to your drink at least thrice a day can help speed up metabolism. While this needs further research, what is proven is that lemon indirectly helps you lose weight by curbing your appetite and making you feel full for longer.
- Lemon Essential Oil for Cleaning and Disinfecting. Lemon can be used as a disinfectant for the hands and body, but it can also be used to clean clothes, metal surfaces, and dishes, with the added bonus of leaving a fresh citrus scent on them. It can also remove stains on the teeth, and keep your breath fresh.
- Lemon Essential Oil for Candida Treatment. Lemon is an antifungal, and thus can be used to treat candida. Mixing Lemon Essential Oil with water, vinegar, and tea tree oil can help alleviate candida, as well as other types of yeast infections.
- Lemon Essential Oil as Insect Repellent. Insects like mosquitoes and flies hate acidic citrus scents, but they especially hate that of lemon. Studies have shown that lemons are an effective alternative to chemical insect repellents, and are significantly less toxic.
- Lemon Essential Oil as Flavoring. Lemon Essential Oil can be used on both savory and sweet foods. You can use it to add a lemon flavor to fish, vegetables, and meat. Or you can add a few drops to cupcakes, cookies, and frosting for a lemony dessert. And of course, you can add it to beverages that call for a little bit of lemon.
- Lemon Essential Oil for Hair Care. Many people report that lemon not only makes hair look shinier and gives it more gloss, it also strengthens it. Lemon is also effective at stopping dandruff.
- Lemon Essential Oil for Stomach Relief. Lemon Essential Oil can be used to treat multiple stomach problems, like nausea, indigestion, upset stomach, and cramps, either by ingesting or by simply inhaling the vapor from a diffuser.
- Lemon Essential Oil for Morning Sickness. Lemon Essential Oil aromatherapy has been proven effective for pregnant women who experience morning sickness. Inhaling lemon vapor from a diffuser has been shown to remove feelings of nausea and queasiness, or at least decrease the intensity.
- Lemon Essential Oil as Wood Polish. Instead of using chemical wood polish that can potentially irritate the eyes and skin and can definitely cause serious problems when inhaled, use 15 drops of lemon oil mixed with ½ cup of olive oil for a natural wood polish that protects wood surfaces just as well as commercial polishes can.
Lemon Essential Oil Side Effects
Like most essential oils, Lemon Essential Oil is not recommended for internal use by pregnant or breastfeeding women, and for infants.
How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
A few drops of Lemon Essential Oil applied directly onto stained surfaces, on clothing, and on metal utensils can make removal of the stain much easier. It is also possible to add a few drops mixed with water onto a spray bottle for general disinfecting of surfaces.
Applying a drop or two onto oily skin will help remove the excess oil and keep the skin less oily for a while. It can also be mixed with lotion in order to give it the properties of lemon oil.
Diffusing Lemon Essential Oil can repel insects, stop nausea, deodorize rooms, and stimulate your mind and make you feel more refreshed and energized.
Adding one or two drops onto pastries, fish, meat, or a drink can help you reap the immunity-boosting benefits of lemon, help you control your appetite, and help with indigestion or cramps.
How to Make Lemon Essential Oil
One important thing to note about Lemon Essential Oil is that it’s not made from the fruit itself, but from the peel. To make Lemon Essential Oil, you will need:
- Lemon peels
- Olive oil
Cut up the lemon peels into small pieces, or grate the skin off of a lemon. Grate or cut enough to fill half of a jar, then fill the rest of the jar with olive oil. Leave the jar on a place that gets direct sunlight, such by a window, for three to four days, shaking the bottle occasionally. Strain the liquid into an airtight container, and you will have your very own homemade Lemon Essential Oil.
Lemon Essential Oil Recipe
Freshen up your carpet easily by using a Lemon Essential Oil freshener. You will need:
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- Peppermint essential oil, 3 drops
- Wild thyme essential oil, 7 drops
- Lemon Essential Oil, 8 drops
- Pine, 2 drops
Combine all the ingredients into a glass container and shake. Sprinkle onto carpet and wait 15 to 20 minutes before vacuuming. Your carpet will smell fresh and clean instantly!
Where to Buy Lemon Essential Oil
When buying Lemon Essential Oil, make sure that they are pure, organic, whether it is cold pressed or distilled (as this affects the aroma), and that the brand is a reliable one. Good brands for Lemon Essential Oil are Plant Therapy, Eden’s Garden, Now Foods, and Thrive Market.
More Information on Lemon Essential Oil
When using on skin, wait at least up to four hours before going out into the sun, or wash off entirely, as it can make the skin photosensitive, and cause blisters, swelling, pain, and damage to your skin.
Do not use on anything that can be corroded by acidic substances. Even though lemon is not as acidic as vinegar or sink cleaners, it can still leave a stain on the wrong surfaces when forgotten.
Lemon Essential Oil FAQs
Q: Can Lemon Essential Oil be used with other oils?
A: Yes. Many oils combine well with Lemon Essential Oil, like rosemary, basil, and ginger.
Q: Can Lemon Essential Oil help in weight loss?
A: Currently there is only anecdotal evidence. What it can help with is reduce your appetite and help make you feel full longer, which indirectly helps you lose weight.
Q: How often can I apply Lemon Essential Oil on my skin?
A: It’s safe to use everyday, as long as you do not step out into the sun immediately after application.
Q: What is the shelf life of Lemon Essential Oil?
A: Lemon Essential Oil has a shelf life of 1 year.
Q: What is the correct way to store Lemon Essential Oil?
A: It should be stored in an airtight container and kept away from direct sunlight.