The essential oil from Juniper berry is extracted from the dried or fresh berries and the needles of the plant species J. scopuloru and Juniperus osteosperma. It is a potent detoxifier and booster of the immune system. These plants originate from Bulgaria. They have long provided a natural way to prevent long and short-term ailments.
The berries contain antioxidants with large amounts of polyphenol and flavonoid that have tough free radical hunting abilities. They provide emotive and bodily health protection. During the primitive times, it was believed that the berries helped fend off witches. For several years, the French hospitals scorched rosemary and juniper to protect the patients from lingering infections and bacteria. Nowadays, Juniper Berry Essential Oil is typically used as a natural treatment for respiratory infections and sore throat, fatigue, arthritis and muscle aches. It also helps in soothing skin flare-ups, enhances the immune system and aids in digestion and insomnia.
Studies show that Juniper berry oil contains more than 87 various constituent compounds that include strong antioxidants, antifungal and antibacterial. It has a woodsy, sweet smell like balsamic vinegar. The oil is used popularly as additive to home cleaning products, fragrance sprays, and aromatherapy blends.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil Benefits
Juniper berry oil benefits include:
- Fights respiratory and throat infections
- Fights fatigue
- Soothes aching muscles
- Treats arthritis
- Soothes flare-ups
- Enhances immune system
- Cures insomnia
- Aids digestion
- Enhances circulation
- Treats skin conditions
- Enhances urine elimination
- Detoxifies the body
- Contains antiseptic properties
Juniper Berry Oil Uses
- Juniper Berry Oil as Antifungal and Antibacterial. The berries contain both antibacterial and antifungal properties and have been used in treating bladder and kidney conditions. One of its popular uses is in the prevention and natural treatment of infections of the urinary tract and bladder. It is taken internally as replacement to antibiotics in the early stages of the infection. It also serves as home cure for acne, skin irritations, lessens stretch marks, and supports beautiful skin. It also helps heal issued due to hormone imbalances. Use 1 or 2 drops of the oil mixed with the carrier oil like a moisturizer or astringent after washing the face. Add some drops to the bath water to fight or cure blemishes, fungus and foot smells.
- Juniper Berry Essential Oil as Diuretic. It acts as a natural diuretic, which helps in flushing out the excess fluids from the urethra and bladder. It helps in the reduction of bloating and clears up the infections faster as it detoxifies the organs. This is more effective when combined with diuretics and other antibacterial ingredients like fennel, cranberries and dandelion.
- Juniper Berry Essential Oil as Digestive Booster. The oil helps in stimulating digestive enzymes in breaking down and absorbing the nutrients, fats and protein from food. It is a natural liver cleanser and digestive aid. Make Juniper Essential Oil a food supplement by blending 1 or 2 drops to smoothies or water. Make sure the oil is 100% pure grade.
- Juniper Berry Essential Oil as Relaxant. The scent it emits offers emotive support and reduces the bodily and emotive symptoms of stress. It is an organic cure for anxiety and most effective for relieving inner pain and trauma because of its beneficial effects on the brain when it is inhaled.
- Juniper Berry Essential Oil as Insect Repellent. Mix it with carrier oil, and massage on skin. You can also use it to diffuse indoor and outdoor environments to cleanse the air and keep insects away.
- Juniper Berry as Natural Household Cleaner. The oil is an organic antiseptic that reduces and prevents bacterial stains from spreading in the home. You can use the oil on surfaces in the kitchen, bathroom and appliances. Place it in a diffuser to absorb odors from the home while cleansing the air you breath. Add several drops to the dishwasher and laundry machine as substitute for commercial household cleaning products.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil Side Effects
- Consuming Juniper Berry Essential Oil on a long-term basis and in high doses can be unsafe as it can cause seizures, kidney problems and other serious side effects.
- Pregnant and breast-feeding mothers must avoid the use of Juniper Berry Essential Oil as it might interfere with fertility or cause miscarriage.
- It lowers blood sugar and too much may be harmful to diabetics.
- It might irritate the intestines and stomach and could make disorders in these organs worse.
- It could affect blood pressure and make it more difficult to control.
- It might affect blood sugar levels making it hard to control during and after surgery. It is advised to stop using Juniper Berry Essential Oil 2 weeks before the scheduled surgery.
How to Use the Juniper Berry Oil
- In aromatherapy. Juniper Berry Essential Oil could be diffused in your home like lighting an aromatic candle or you can inhale it straight from the container. There is scientific evidence that shows that oils enter the bloodstream once inhaled. The large blood vessels found in the lungs absorb and circulate the oil all over the body. Juniper Berry Essential Oil could reach the brain faster because of its fast-acting effect on the nose.
- As a topical application. Dilute oil with coconut oil on a 1 is to 1 ratio prior to applying on skin. You can mix several drops with 2 teaspoons of jojoba or coconut oil then rub on the affected areas of the body. The oil will penetrate the skin and pass into the blood. It circulates to different body parts to reduce pain and provide other curative benefits.
- Internal use. The FDA recognizes the oil as safe to consume. However, you can only ingest the oil if it is of a very high standard brand. Search for medical-grade oil that originates from the original plant species cultivated in its indigenous region. 100% organic oil is important because it guarantees it was cultivated without any chemical herbicides or pesticides.
How to Make Juniper Berry Oil
One of the best ways to make Juniper Berry Oil is by infusion. Start with a base oil like jojoba, olive, coconut, or grape seed oil. Then fill a jar, about three quarters full, of juniper berries. Make sure the berries are ripe. Add the carrier oil and allow to infuse for about two weeks. Store in a place that is away from direct sunlight.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil Recipe
Bath Salts Recipe
The homemade recipe for bath salts helps in enhancing relaxation, relief for muscle pains, reduces anxiety and supports detoxification.
- 3 cups of Epsom salts
- 1 cup of baking soda
- Hot water for your bath (as you can tolerate)
- 20 drops of Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- 20 drops of lavender oil
- Big glass jar
- Combine all the dry ingredients and keep in a sealed container.
- During bath time, put 1 cup each of dry ingredients including the oils to hot water.
- Soak in the bath water for 20 to 40 minutes or longer.
Where to Buy Juniper Berry Essential Oil
You can purchase Juniper Berry Essential Oil in bulk at Alibaba.com and other websites selling aromatherapy and essential oil products. You can also purchase from pharmacies and aromatherapy stores such. Popular brands are Eden’s Garden and RMO.
More Information on Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- A reputable brand is usually slightly more expensive which means the plant was harvested during the peak time and extracted using the proper temperature and pressure in preserving the potency of the oil’s contents.
- Once you are sure that the oil you purchased is of high quality, you can add a drop of water or mix with raw honey or make into a smoothie and consume like a dietary supplement.