Poison ivy is a type of plant that contains a substance called urushiol. Urushiol is an oil that can cause an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with your skin. Symptoms of a poison ivy reaction can include itching, burning, redness, swelling, and blistering.
The severity of the reaction will depend on how sensitive you are to urushiol and how much oil you came into contact with. The rash is not contagious and usually lasts one to three weeks. However, the rash can become a blister in severe cases and lead to a secondary infection.
There are three poison ivy plants – western poison ivy, eastern poison ivy, and climbing poison ivy. All three types of plants contain urushiol and can cause a similar reaction. The plants can grow as a vine or shrubs and typically have green leaves with three leaflets. The leaves may also have white or yellow flowers and either white or gray berries.
The best way to avoid a poison ivy allergy is to avoid contact with the plant altogether. If you know you will be in an area where poison ivy grows, wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts to cover your skin.
Lukewarm Water and Soap
During the warmer months, many of us enjoy spending time outdoors. Hiking, picnicking, and gardening are all great ways to get some exercise and fresh air. However, there is one downside to being outdoors: poison ivy. This pesky plant can cause an itchy, uncomfortable rash that takes days or even weeks to heal.
Many people are familiar with the saying “leaves of three, leave them be,” but not everyone knows what to do if they come into contact with poison ivy. The first thing to do is rinse the affected area with lukewarm water and soap. Rinsing the affected area with lukewarm water and soap will help remove the urushiol from your skin and reduce your risk of an allergic reaction.
IvyBlock is an excellent soap for poison ivy allergies. The active ingredient in IvyBlock is an extract from the crushed leaves of the plantain, which have been shown to have antihistaminic properties. IvyBlock works by forming a skin barrier preventing the poison ivy rash from spreading. In addition, IvyBlock is safe for use on children and adults, and it is available without a prescription.