Grapefruit is known as an essential component for weight loss. This is why Grapefruit Essential Oil has become very popular too for the same reason. In fact, it has been used for centuries now not just for weight loss, but for beating inflammation and other health problems. It also has the ability to suppress your desire to eat sweet foods. Hence, it is more effective in your goal to lose weight. Most of all, it can help fight stress in a more natural way.
The reason why grapefruit is extremely popular even up to now is because it is proven to be effective in fighting weight loss issues. In fact, those who have consistently includes grapefruit in their diet have noticed changes in the body. It is due to their increased energy levels and improved metabolic rate. Most of all, it prevents the body from craving for sugar.
Grapefruit pulp is the more popular part of the plant due to its uses. However, it is the peel of the fruit that is used as the essential oil. It has a number of volatile compounds providing tons of health benefits. The smell is just like citrus as well as the taste. It is just quite bitter compared with regular citrus. Aside from being used as an essential oil, it is also used as an ingredient for lotion, soap and other cosmetic products.
The main component of grapefruit is limonene which is 88% of the essential oil. This component is known for reducing tumor size and even in fighting cancer. It has the ability to protect the DNA and other cells from possible damage. It is also high in antioxidants as well as phytochemicals. They are essential in relieving stress and other mental health problems.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits
Grapefruit Essential Oil has a lot of health benefits. Here are some of them:
- Helps fight bacteria and disinfect the body
- Cleanses the body through detoxification
- Reduces depression and other mental health related problems
- Boosts the immune system to fight various diseases
- Curbs cravings for sugar, leading to weight loss
- Increases metabolism and energy level
- Decreases fluid retention to prevent looking bloated
- Cures hangover
Grapefruit Essential Oil Uses
- Grapefruit Essential Oil as Agent for Weight Loss. This is the most popular use of this essential oil. In fact, it has been around for centuries now for this main reason. It has properties that help boost metabolism and increase energy levels leading to weight loss.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil as Anti-bacteria. Bacteria may enter the body through food, air and other sources. This essential oil has the ability to remove bacteria from the body.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil as Stress Reliever. It is highly recommended to use this essential oil to massage the body if you want to experience stress relief. You may also add it to your bath tub so you feel more relaxed.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil as Cure for Hangover. If you were too drunk a night before and you have to go to work the next day, just apply the essential oil topically and you will feel better.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil to Lower High Blood Pressure. It helps improve blood flow in the body. This prevents high blood pressure and other heart related problems.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil as Detoxifier. It has the ability to flush toxins out of the body. You will feel like you are totally fresh and new after using it.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil as Acne Remover. If you suffer from acne and other skin problems, this essential oil can help stop the problems from getting worse. It may also be mixed with other essential oils for better smell.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil as Hair Cleanser. If you want your hair to be shinier and more luscious, this will help you a lot. It also protects your hair from the sun and potentially damaging it.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Side Effects
- Sunburn. Using this essential oil topically might make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Hence, it could lead to higher UV exposure and sunburn. Make sure you don’t do outdoor activities when you use this essential oil.
- Skin allergies. As the essential oil is taken from the peel, some people might be easily allergic to it. Therefore, it is recommended to seek for advice from your doctor first to prevent potential problems.
- Digestive problems. If you take more grapefruit than what you are supposed to, it could lead to digestive issues. It may overstimulate the gall bladder and may cause spasm.
How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil
You can use the essential oil using these methods:
- Aromatherapy. Diffuse it using an oil diffuser or just inhale it directly from the bottle. It helps prevent problems like headache, bloating and depression.
- Topical. It must be diluted with jojoba oil or coconut oil with a 1:1 ration. It is applied to the skin especially in areas that have sore muscles or those that are prone to acne.
- Internal. It is only possible to take it internally if you make use of a brand that is of extremely high quality. It is also recommended to take a very small amount or mix it with something else like a smoothie. It is also safe for ingestion if it contains 100% Grapefruit Essential Oil.
How to Make Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruits that have moderately think rind are used in extracting the essential oil. The grapefruit is peeled first and the skin is left behind. The rind or zest can be placed on the crockpot along with almond oil. Cover the crockpot and wait for the essential oils to come out and store it in a bottle under a room temperature.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Recipe
The essential oil can be used as a substitute for cellulite creams you can buy commercially. Those creams are filled with chemicals. If you want a natural alternative, you can combine 30 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil with 1 cup of coconut oil. Let it stay on the affected areas for 2 minutes. This recipe helps hydrate the skin. It is also anti-inflammatory in nature.
Where to Buy Grapefruit Essential Oil
You can check out Young Living and doTerra if you want to buy this essential oil. These sites are popular when it comes to high quality essential oils. As it is a popular essential oil, you might want to check out local shops. Just make sure you don’t settle for anything of low quality.
More Information on Grapefruit Essential Oil
- There were studies conducted that can prove that grapefruit is really a great ingredient for relaxing the brain. Subjects of the said studies experienced relaxation and stress relief after using grapefruit.
- There were other studies that showed how grapefruit can improve one’s mood. It also has components that provide signals to the brain telling you to be happier and more relaxed.
- If you feel like you are no longer craving for sugar after using this essential oil, it has something to do with the fact that the part of the brain that is relieved from stress is close to the part that tells you to eat sweets.
- Eucalyptus, basil and citrus are the best blends for grapefruit if you want to improve its overall smell.
- Make sure that you don’t stay long outdoors within 72 hours after using this essential oil. It belongs to the citrus oil family. Therefore, it makes your skin more sensitive to the sun. Just stay indoors if possible.