Geranium has tons of health benefits because of its properties. It can be an astringent, deodorant, tonic and diuretic. It has the ability to improve the skin and also relax the body. It can also help people cope up with stress and depression. It has a flowery scent which is relaxing and uplifting. It is lucid and light. It also feels soft when used on the skin. It is one of the best smelling essential oils you can buy.
The essential oil is obtained from Geranium, a flowering plant. It belongs to the Pelargonium family, and although there are different varieties available, only a few of them can be used as essential oil. Geranium is one of them. Once applied to the skin, it can provide a glowing effect. It is also a natural insect repellant. The flowers are definitely great for decorative purposes. However, during the ancient times, the leaves and flowers of the plants are also used for cooking. This includes jellies, cakes and other desserts. The irresistible smell is perhaps the reason why it is popular as a cooking ingredient. Most probably, it also has great taste for it to be considered a recipe for these dishes.
There was also a study involving mice in which the essential oil was able to suppress the presence of candida cell growth. When applied vaginally, it could significantly decrease the amount of candida cells. There was also another study involving people with hemorrhage episodes. Those who were involved in the study felt significant changes in their body after using the essential oil. The hemorrhage episodes were reduced.
Geranium Essential Oil is nontoxic and has a lot of therapeutic qualities. Aside from its positive effects on the skin, it also has effects on one’s mental health. It is known as an anti-depressant. It even has the ability to speed up the healing of wounds. The various parts of the Geranium plant have been used for a long time and its effects are proven to be true over and over again.
Geranium Essential Oil Benefits
You will get several health benefits when using this essential oil. These are some of them:
- Helps balance the hormones in the body
- Relieves people from stress and anxiety
- Reduces the possibility of going down to depression and other mental health issues
- Minimizes inflammation in various parts of the body
- Improves blood circulation
- Improves overall dental health
- Makes menopause less painful
- Reduces blood pressure
- Solves various skin condition and provides healthy glow to the skin
Geranium Essential Oil Uses
- Geranium Essential Oil as Wrinkle Reducer. It has the ability to reduce the amount of wrinkles on the forehead and other parts of the body. It also helps delay the signs of aging in general.
- Geranium Essential Oil as Muscle Toner. By applying it on your skin, it will not sag. Therefore, if you are building your muscles, it will help improve the overall results. You will look more toned and fit.
- Geranium Essential Oil as Anti-infection. The essential oil has anti-infection qualities that help a lot in preventing the spread of bacteria in the body. Just use it on the affected area and cover it with gauze for maximum effects.
- Geranium Essential Oil for Blood Clotting. It has the ability to speed up the clotting of the blood and make wounds heal faster.
- Geranium Essential Oil as Natural Deodorant. Due to its wonderful flowery smell, you can use this essential oil as a deodorant. It does not have chemical components so it is totally safe for external use.
- Geranium Essential Oil as Anti-dementia. Even the most serious brain related problems like dementia and Alzheimer’s can be treated with the help of this essential oil.
- Geranium Essential Oil as Skin Enhancer. It is known to have qualities that help improve the skin especially areas that are affected by acne and scar. It also has the ability to prevent serious skin diseases. Just mix it with coconut oil for maximum results.
- Geranium Essential Oil as Stress Reliever. Just like other coconut oils, it has the ability to relieve the body from stress and other mental health problems.
Geranium Essential Oil Side Effects
- Skin irritation: It is usually applied on a small portion of the skin first to test possible irritation. Once irritation takes place, don’t apply it further.
- Eye irritation: It should not be used near the eyes to avoid irritation.
- Poisoning: It is safe to ingest this essential oil but only in very small quantities. Otherwise, the effects could be very bad, and might even lead to poisoning.
- High blood pressure. People suffering from high blood pressure and other health concerns must use it.
- Breastfeeding women. Geranium has an effect on hormone secretion. Therefore, it is not advised for both pregnant and breastfeeding women as the baby might also be affected.
How to Use Geranium Essential Oil
You can use the essential oil using these methods:
- Aromatherapy. A diffuser may be used to smell the oil. It already has good scent but you may also mix it with other scents to improve the overall smell.
- Topical. You can apply it directly to the skin. Just make sure to apply only a few drops each time and a maximum of 3 times a day to avoid damaging your skin.
- Hair. You can use it as an anti-dandruff shampoo. Just mix it with apple cider vinegar and other essential oils for improved smell.
- Internal. This is a nontoxic essential oil. Therefore, it is safe for internal use. However, you have to make sure that you only take a few drops to avoid possible poisoning.
How to Make Geranium Essential Oil
The oil from this plant is extracted through steam distillation. Usually, the stems and leaves are the parts that produce most of the essential oil. Once extracted, it can be placed in a bottle for storage. The main components of the oil are pinene, geranyl acetate, geraniul and menthone. These components play a significant role in solving various health issues.
Geranium Essential Oil Recipe
Geranium has qualities that help in improving the hair. A recipe for homemade conditioner can be made and it has the ability to restore the natural pH level on the hair. The result would be soft and luscious hair. If you want to make one at home, you just have to mix 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 10 drops of Geranium Essential Oil and place them in a plastic bottle when you’re done. You may also include other scents like rosemary or sage. You can spray the mixture to your hair at least once a day and leave it there for a 5 minutes before rinsing it.
Where to Buy Geranium Essential Oil
This essential oil can be easily bought in local shops as it is quite popular, but it can also be bought online. Young Living and doTerra are the best online sites for buying it.
More Information on Geranium Essential Oil
- Geranium is also a vermifuge. It means that it has properties that can help children suffering from intestinal worms. Just seek for an advice from your doctor when using it internally for kids.
- The essential oil may affect hormone secretions. In many ways, this is not a good thing. For people who may have illnesses related to hormone secretion, it is best to avoid using this essential oil.
- You can add a few drops of Geranium Essential Oil on the moisturizer that you are already using to maximize its effects.
- Its aroma has a calming effect and may also relieve the body from stress and anxiety.
- The essential oil also has properties that can reduce inflammation in the body and in some cases; it was known to improve the condition of people with kidney problems.