Referred to as the olibanum, frankincense is perfect for its aromatherapy. It has also been used for various health reasons. Frankincense is actually a tree that is common in Somalia. The tree grows under extreme conditions such as little soil and hot weather. The oil has been used in the Middle East as anointing oil. It is also deemed holy. Several religious ceremonies in the past involve this oil. Now, it is used for various health reasons especially for skin care and in fighting signs of aging.
If you are searching for an essential oil with a sweet and balsamic aroma, Frankincense Essential Oil is perfect for you. It allows you to focus when you are totally stressed out and also makes you feel relaxed when you are tired from doing various activities. Frankincense has been used for a long time for various reasons and is still popular until now, especially in the form of essential oil.
When you have skin imperfections, you can find relief in frankincense oil. Due to the number of health benefits that you will get from using it, most people have dubbed it as the king of oils. You may also inhale it through diffusion to provide a sense of relaxation and overall calmness. The oil is composed of ketonic alcohol, camphene, dipentene and other components. According to the book, Reference Guide for Essential Oils, the monotorpenes and sesquiterpenes are the most prized elements of frankincense.
Frankincense Essential Oil Benefits
These are the benefits you will get from using Frankincense Essential Oil:
- Helps strengthen gums
- Improves hair roots to avoid hair fall
- Hasten blood clot
- Speeds up the healing of skin conditions like boils and acne
- Reduce inflammation such as arthritis
- Aids in digestion and prevents digestive problems
- Reduce the risk of tumor or cyst formation
- Helps fight wrinkles and other signs of aging
Frankincense Essential Oil Uses
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Agent Against Aging. The essential oil can be used for skin protection. It reduces the size of large pores and reduces acne blemishes. It also prevents sagging of skin which is one of the signs of aging.
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Remedy for Indigestion. For constipation, stomachache and loss bowel, this essential oil is the perfect remedy.
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Aid in Removing Scar. When you have scars due to acne, wound and other skin problems, they will all go away once you start using this essential oil. Just make sure that you apply it only when the skin is on the healing process and not when the wound is still fresh.
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Treatment for Respiratory Issues. This oil has the ability to remove phlegm on the lungs. This helps make breathing easier. People suffering from bronchitis and even tuberculosis will find relief with this essential oil.
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Pain Reliever. Whether it is your joint muscle, neck or feet that are in pain, you will feel a lot better the moment you start using this essential oil as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Stress Reliever. When inhaled, studies revealed that it helps reduce heart rate and blood pressure. Those who are stressed out and are suffering from psychological problems would start feeling better with constant use of the oil.
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Immune System Booster. There are natural ways to increase the body’s defenses against illnesses and this essential oil is one of them. It has the ability to destroy certain bacteria and virus, fighting even serious diseases like cancer.
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Aid to Fight Cancer. In a 2012 study, it was revealed that there are certain types of cancer that can be easily fought using this essential oil. The best part is that this is the type that cannot be fought using chemotherapy.
- Frankincense Essential Oil as Sleeping Aid. People suffering from chronic stress and high anxiety levels have difficulty in sleeping. This is the answer to the problem as the essential oil has calming effects.
Frankincense Essential Oil Side Effects
Compared with other oils, frankincense has very little side effects. The body tolerates the essential oil better leading to less allergic reaction. It is too rare seeing people suffering from rashes, nausea and stomach pain by using this essential oil, even among minors. Just make sure you don’t have bleeding disorders as it has blood thinning effects which may worsen the problem.
How to Use Frankincense Essential Oil
You can take advantage of this essential oil by using it in different ways.
- Aromatherapy. It may be inhaled using a diffuser or a vaporizer. It helps clear blockage on the nose that prevents respiratory problems from getting worse.
- Topical. The oil may be applied directly to the skin. It may also be mixed with other ingredients. However, it is advised to only use a little amount and mix it with other essential oils for maximum effect. You may also use frankincense alone to enjoy its smell.
- Internal. When ingested in really small amounts, it is deemed safe.
How to Make Frankincense Essential Oil
You can create this oil by steam distillation. The raw resin is the main ingredient. You may also buy the essential oil directly as long as you get one where the oil is 100% pure and has no other components. Just don’t confuse it with fragrance oils. They are cheaper and they smell better, but they might not give you the therapeutic benefits of a natural Frankincense Essential Oil.
Frankincense Essential Oil Recipe
You can create your own frankincense oil blends. You just have to mix frankincense oil with jojoba oil and coconut oil. Shea butter is also an option. Lavender essential oil may also be blended with frankincense to maximize its relaxing effect. Just mix a few drops of the essential oils that you want to use on a double boiler. If you want to melt the shea butter up until it is in liquid state, you can do so in a separate container. Once melted, you can mix it with the essential oils. You can now place the final product on a bottle for future use. Make sure that it is kept in room temperature to maximize the use of shea butter.
Where to Buy Frankincense Essential Oil
Young Living and doTerra are among the best sites for you to buy this essential oil online. It has a retail price of less than $100. You can also check local shops as possible sources.
More Information on Frankincense Essential Oil
- Aside from its therapeutic effects, the essential oil may also be used as a cleaning agent and a natural hygiene product.
- It has the ability to easily mix with other essential oils and has no known side effects if used moderately.
- There are capsules that you can buy as food supplements. Make sure that you consult with your doctor before ingesting those capsules.
- Some people use the essential oils to decrease the appearance of stretch marks. However, it takes time and a lot of patience to finally see the effects.
- When used in the skin, make sure that you apply it in a small area first to determine whether or not you are sensitive to it. If allergic reactions happen, stop using it.
- Don’t use the essential oil near the eyes. Close your eyes when inhaling it via steam.