Fenugreek is an herb with light green leaves. It also has small white flowers. The seeds have a bitter taste that is somewhat similar with celery or burnt sugar. They are not used for cooking, but are quite a popular ingredient in crating natural medicine. The leaves can be used for cooking though. Usually, the seeds are used for treating various illnesses either by ingestion or by forming a paste that is applied through the skin.
Fenugreek extracts are also used in making soaps and cosmetics as they contain substances that help improve skin conditions. One tablespoon of Fenugreek seeds contains 35.5 calories. It also has 6.4g carbohydrates and 2.5g protein.
Fenugreek Essential Oil is a perfect remedy in fighting common illnesses. Made from seeds of Fenugreek, this essential oil has been around for quite some time now. Since the ancient times, it has been used for several diseases and it was deemed totally effective. Hence, it continues to be an option for many people until now.
There were reports revealing that Fenugreek seed was found on the tomb of Tutankhamun. It means that has been used since the time of early human beings. These seeds have also been described in early medicinal books. Distilled oil coming from the seeds was used and was considered totally organic and natural. There are two varieties available, including the Fenugreek seed pressed oil which contains healthy fatty acids and Fenugreek seed essential oil with volatile compounds that are perfect due to their unique benefits on people’s health.
Fenugreek Essential Oil Benefits
The following are the benefits of using Fenugreek Essential Oil:
- Helps fight acne in the face and even in the arms
- Aids in weight loss
- Improves skin condition, especially irritated skin
- Reduce blood glucose levels, helping people with diabetes
- Helps reduce stress levels
- Decreases high blood pressure
- Exerts positive influence on kidneys and pancreas
- Agent for breast enlargement
- Fights dandruff and other hair problems
Fenugreek Essential Oil Uses
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as Aid in Digestion. People suffering from constipation will start feeling better with the help of this oil. Those with inflammation problems and ulcer may also find relief with the help of Fenugreek seed oil.
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as Help in Reducing Inflammation. Inflammation may vary in degree. Sometimes, inflammation can affect important organs like the heart and kidney, and could result to death. Using this essential oil helps attack problems related to inflammation such as arthritis, bronchitis, tuberculosis and even cancer.
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as a Solution Against Low Libido. Men suffering from low sexual drive and other problems like erectile dysfunction can use the essential oil to fight such problems. Those who have used the essential oil have seen increased sexual desire and overall performance.
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as Aid in Breastfeeding. Some breastfeeding women have problems when it comes to the flow of milk. With the help of this essential oil, the flow of milk becomes better and the nutrients are easily harnessed by the baby.
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as Treatment Against Eating Disorder. People who have lost their appetite have started to regain it after using this essential oil. Those with anorexia and bulimia have seen changes in their appetite when they started using Fenugreek seed oil. It does not necessarily treat the problem, but at least makes it less serious.
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as Energy Booster. When you hit the gym, how long does it take before you get tired? If you are one of those who easily get tired, but you still want to do more, this essential oil will help you. By boosting your energy, you can exercise more and lose weight faster.
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as Cure for Acne. This is perhaps the most popular use of the essential oil. It helps in solving acne with just a few drops.
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as Remedy for Skin Irritation. There are a lot of reasons behind skin irritation. When you experience this problem due to change in weather, environment, allergies or other reasons, you can find relief with this essential oil.
- Fenugreek Essential Oil as Therapeutic Oil. Instead of using regular massage oil, you can use this oil to feel better. It helps reduce blood pressure and also makes you feel more relaxed.
Fenugreek Essential Oil Side Effects
- Expecting mothers: Although it is deemed safe for breastfeeding women, those who are yet to give birth are advised not to use this oil due to potential complications and sensitivity of the condition.
- Skin irritation: The essential oil is known as a treatment for skin irritation, but it can have an opposite effect to some people. It is best to have it tested on a certain area first before use.
- Bleeding disorders: Those who suffer from this problem are advised not to use the essential oil as it could induce vomiting as well as dark stool.
How to Use Fenugreek Essential Oil
Here are some ways to use Fenugreek seed essential oil.
- Aromatherapy. It can be applied to certain parts of the body, especially in areas that are aching. It may be combined with other herbs that have better smell or menthol effect to ensure relaxation.
- Topical. When used to treat acne on the face, 3-5 drops would be enough. You may also mix it with other essential oils like coconut and jojoba for better smell. It is highly recommended though to try the oil in certain portions of the skin first and not continue using it in the event of irritation.
How to Make Fenugreek Essential Oil
The essential oil is usually acquired via steam distillation. Once the essential oil has been extracted, it may be added on a pan of boiling water. The steam can be inhaled and is a good way to fight mucus and runny nose. It may also be used as a vaporizer to fight simple problems like fever or something more serious like high blood pressure.
Fenugreek Essential Oil Recipe
You can create your own Fenugreek Essential Oil. You just have to let the seeds undergo steam distillation. Once the essential oil has been extracted, there are different ways in which it can be used to treat illnesses. It may be inhaled in the form of steam when mixed with boiling water. It prevents respiratory illnesses from getting worse.
If you wish to use it for its therapeutic effect, you may add 4 to 5 drops of the oil to a vaporizer. It will then spread throughout the air. The aroma is said to reduce high blood pressure and also has a calming effect. When it is too hot outside, the aroma helps make the environment cooler. Those with fever may also find relief when the oil is used this way. You can easily store the oil in a bottle when not in use. Make sure that you tightly cover the bottle and store it in a safe place under room temperature.
Where to Buy Fenugreek Essential Oil
You can find Fenugreek Seeds Essential Oil online. There are different brands available. Hemani is one of the more popular and reliable brands. Aside from oil, Fenugreek seeds have also been used for capsules.
More Information on Fenugreek Essential Oil
- The oil may be used for breast enlargement when applied on the breast. However, the effects are not seen directly. You may have to wait for some time.
- You can use the oil with other ingredients if you want to treat dandruff and other hair problems.
- Although it is deemed safe for people with diabetes as it lowers glucose level on the blood, it is still safe to seek for advice from your doctor. The effect might be reverse for some people.
- Aside from breastfeeding women benefitting from better milk flow, women who are at a menopausal age may also experience relief at the said stage.
- Without permission from your doctor, don’t ingest this essential oil directly to avoid irritation and other problems. Not everyone is comfortable with this essential oil.