Coffee Essential Oil, as the name implies, is extracted from the same coffee bean that’s used to make the world’s most popular beverage. Aside from household purposes, this essential oil is also used in beauty products, and has a number of health benefits. This is due to the presence of natural antioxidants like phenolic compounds, alkaloids, kahweol, and cafestol, which mitigates cell damage to fatty acids and oxidation of fatty acids inside the body.
Coffee Essential Oil, just like its drink form, is effective in invigorating and energizing the mind and body, but it also has therapeutic purposes, can improve health and immunity, and revitalize the skin. There are nutrients from coffee that are only absorbed via application to the skin, and thus has become popular as a beauty product in recent times.
The many uses of Coffee Essential Oil stems from its composition of plant sterols, linoleic acid, oleic acid, and caffeine. Additionally, it contains a number of other antioxidant compounds. Because of these, Coffee Essential Oil is used to treat a wide range of physical and mental ailments, including anxiety, inflammations, cold, allergies, lack of appetite, muscle tension, and can even lower the risk of cancer.
Coffee Essential Oil Benefits
Aside from providing a refreshing aroma that everyone loves, Coffee Essential Oil has many important benefits, including:
- Mood uplifter and anti-stress
- Natural perfume
- Food flavoring
- Pain relief from insect bites
- Improves hair
Coffee Essential Oil Uses
- Coffee Essential Oil to Fight Signs of Aging. The antioxidants, fatty acids, plant sterols, and vitamins in Coffee Essential Oil fights free radicals, protects you from sunlight, and slows down cell degradation. Applied topically, Coffee Essential Oil promotes the production of collagen that helps keep skin looking young and prevents wrinkles and rough skin.
- Coffee Essential Oil as Anti-Cellulite. Coffee Essential Oil has long been an ingredient in many skin care creams for anti-aging and anti-cellulite. The way it works is similar to when it fights wrinkles; it tightens the skin and gives it a dose of antioxidants through caffeine.
- Coffee Essential Oil as a Mood Uplifter and For Stress Relief. Just like the drink, Coffee Essential Oil can help improve your mood, make you feel relaxed, and relieve stress. Fill a room with the aroma of Coffee Essential Oil by soaking cotton balls in it and leaving them around the room. This can keep your mood up and help prevent stress, and create a peaceful and calm atmosphere. It also helps improve your ability to focus. It can also be used to relax tense muscles, either directly on the skin as massage oil, or mixed in with your bath water. Applying Coffee Essential Oil on tired muscles can soothe and remove soreness and pain.
- Coffee as a Perfume. Mixing 30 drops of Coffee Essential Oil to 1 teaspoon of vanilla, plus 10 drops of cinnamon oil can make a great personal perfume for daily use. Applying this on your skin not only makes you smell great, but also gives you all the benefits of using Coffee Essential Oil on your skin.
- Coffee Essential Oil as Anti-Cancer. Anti-oxidants are not only helpful in making the skin look youthful, it also helps protect your body from many types of cancer. Coffee Essential Oil has a high enough concentration of linoleic and oleic acids for it to lower your risk of cancer
- Coffee Essential Oil as a Food Enhancer. This essential oil is great for adding a nice coffee flavor to various drinks and food. It can be added to chocolate shakes to give it a nice little caffeine kick, or used in cakes, pastries, and syrups to give them a delicious hint of coffee.
- Coffee Essential Oil for Treating Insect Bites. Coffee Essential Oil can be applied topically on insect bites and stings. This helps decrease swelling and inflammation, and relieves the pain. It’s a great idea to bring around a small jar of Coffee Essential Oil when going camping or hiking.
- Coffee Essential Oil for Hair Health. Coffee has been long used in salon treatments to strengthen hair at the roots. The antioxidants in coffee also help stimulate blood circulation at the scalp, which in turn promotes hair growth.
Coffee Essential Oil Side Effects
Coffee Essential Oil contains caffeine, just like the drink. Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others, and overdosing on caffeine can lead to palpitations, dizziness, insomnia, irritability, and other side effects associated with drinking too much coffee. This is especially true for those who rarely consume caffeine.
Other side effects include skin irritation and allergic reactions. Most essential oils cause irritation at the first application. However, if redness or intense itching occurs, it may not be a good idea to use Coffee Essential Oil on the skin. Try a very small amount first before applying on the skin and observe for any itching, puffiness, or redness.
How to Use Coffee Essential Oil
For use on the skin, apply a small amount of diluted Coffee Essential Oil on the face, arms, and legs. You may also use carrier oil instead of water if there is any available. For cellulite, simply apply the mixture onto the areas with cellulite daily.
For aromatherapy, simply use a few drops onto a diffuser. Alternatively, you can use cotton balls soaked in Coffee Essential Oil and place them around the room to envelop the room in the aroma of coffee and to deodorize it.
As a food additive, use a few drops and mix it in with the ingredients of your pastry or drink. Remember to not use too much as this has a high concentration of caffeine.
For insect bites, apply the same way as you would for cellulite or wrinkles.
For hair, apply it directly on to the scalp, or mix it with shampoo or rinsing water.
How to Make Coffee Essential Oil
The most common way to derive Coffee Essential Oil is different from processing the coffee bean for drinking. It is distilled cold, yet it still smells like fresh coffee. Typically, the beans used are of the Arabica variety, which is the most common.
It’s rather easy to make Coffee Essential Oil at home. You will need materials that can be easily found in stores:
- Coffee beans
- Olive oil
Mix 2 cups of olive oil with 1/4th cup of roasted coffee beans. Cook over low heat for 6 to 8 hours, periodically checking and mixing to prevent burning. After cooking, strain the liquid to separate it from the beans. Store the liquid in an airtight glass container and refrigerate.
You can also add other essential oils if you wish, depending on what you will use it for. Cinnamon, peppermint, or vanilla can be added for hair use, for example.
Coffee Essential Oil Recipe
An easy anti-aging concoction that you can make with Coffee Essential Oil is coffee bean face oil with rosehip. This can reverse signs of aging, repair damaged skin and reduce wrinkles, as well as remove dark circles around the eyes.
- ¼ teaspoon Coffee Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons rosehip oil
Mix the two oils together in a small bowl thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a dark glass container and store in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. Use one or two drops daily on the face and let dry for a few minutes.
Where to Buy Coffee Essential Oil
Previously only available in expensive stores, Coffee Essential Oil is now widely available on the Internet. On Amazon, there are plenty of brands to choose from, but by far the best ones to get are the following:
- Eden Botanicals
- Lotus Garden Botanicals
- Plant Therapy
- Eden’s Garden
- Piping Rock
- Bio Source Naturals
More Information on Coffee Essential Oil
It is generally not recommended to use Coffee Essential Oil, or consume coffee in any form, when you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as the caffeine can be passed down to the infant. A small amount of caffeine is enough to cause caffeine overdosing to an infant or a small child.
Ingesting Coffee Essential Oil should only be in very small amounts, as it is highly concentrated and contains more caffeine per drop than regular coffee.
Coffee Essential Oil FAQs
Q: Can Coffee Essential Oil be mixed with other essential oils?
A: Yes. Plenty of essential oils mix well with Coffee Essential Oil, and it is recommended to mix it with your favorite herbal oil when preparing it for hair use.
Q: Can Coffee Essential Oil help in weight loss?
A: There have been studies carried out to find an answer to this, and while the results so far had been promising it still needs further testing before a conclusion can be reached.
Q: How often can I apply Coffee Essential Oil on my skin?
A: It’s safe to use everyday.
Q: What is the shelf life of Coffee Essential Oil?
A: If stored properly, it can last 4-5 years.
Q: What is the correct way to store Coffee Essential Oil?
A: It should preferably be stored in a dark bottle, and kept in a cool dry place or refrigerated.