Clary sage (salvia sclarea) is a flowering herb that is most known for its soothing and calming properties. The small flowers of the plant naturally possess fragrant scent, and has thus been used for perfume-making and aromatherapy. Aside from these, however, the essential oil of clary sage has many medicinal uses.
Clary Sage Essential Oil is widely believed to be used as an alternative medicine from as early as the Middle Ages. Aside from its fragrance, the essential oil has calming properties that ancient people used for soothing skin and hair, and even for improving sleep. In the present day, Clary Sage Essential Oil is used in flavoring wines, among others.
One of the most known benefits of Clary Sage Essential Oil is that it soothes both nerves and skin. The fragrance and the mildness of the oil itself help promote sleep by relaxing tense nerves and muscles. Applying it topically or smelling it greatly helps in improving sleep, as Clary Sage Essential Oil is a natural sedative. The oil may also be used to reduce the burning sensation of skin rashes. Its antioxidant properties may also be used to improve or maintain the health of skin and hair cells. The substance may be used by people who wish to develop shiny hair, a younger looking skin, and toned muscles.
Clary Sage Essential Oil Benefits
The chemical component of the clary sage plant includes linalyl acetate, a natural sedative and anti-inflammatory agent. Most of the health benefits of Clary Sage Essential Oil are due in part to this chemical. Some of its other benefits include:
- Helps in soothing the nerves
- Improves sleep
- Helps in soothing skin rashes
- Tones skin and muscles
- Increases hair follicle strength
- Prevents unwanted hair loss
- Has antioxidants
- Fights depression and stress
- Reduces spasms and muscle cramps
- Reduces painful symptoms caused by menstruation
- Contains natural antiseptic properties
- Prevents inflammation and allergies
- Helps remove excess bodily gas
Clary Sage Essential Oil Uses
- Clary Sage Essential Oil for Menstruation. Clary Sage Essential Oil is a natural emenagogue. This means that it helps facilitate blood flow in the uterus, whose thickened walls shed off during menstruation. Using the oil helps prevent menstrual cramps and even promote regular monthly cycles. It can also ease other pains that emerge during monthly periods.
- Clary Sage Essential Oil as a Pain Reliever. Because of its soothing properties, applying a few drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil on the temples, arms, or legs, eliminates pain. It is also proven to serve as a natural nervine, calming the nerves, and therefore fight built-up stress and depression.
- Clary Sage Essential Oil for Cleaning Wounds. Clary Sage Essential Oil can serve as an antiseptic when mixed with other oils. It can kill bacteria and stop the spread of fungal infections. Moreover, it can be used regularly on the affected area because it has skin rejuvenating properties that help wounds heal quickly.
- Clary Sage Essential Oil for Constipation. One of the benefits of the oil is that it is a carminative. In other words, it helps expel gas through the excretory system. This treats constipation and feelings of a bloated stomach. If not for stomachaches, this can be used a detoxifier.
- Clary Sage Essential Oil for Skin and Hair Care. Its antioxidant properties can rejuvenate skin, therefore making them young looking. This also applies to hair cells. The oil strengthens the hair follicles, makes hair shine, and combats hair loss.
Clary Sage Essential Oil Side Effects
Because Clary Sage Essential Oil is very mild, it has no adverse side effects to both children and adults. It is also safe for grown-ups to add Clary Sage Essential Oil to drinks and food. Before doing such, make sure to check that the bottle you purchased used 100% clary sage and that the scientific name is salvia sclarea.
However, any substance taken in excessive amounts may cause unwanted effects. Clary Sage Essential Oil is no different. Heavy usage may cause nausea or headaches. Additionally, because it helps circulate the blood flow in the pelvic area, pregnant women are advised to avoid using this.
How to Use Clary Sage Essential Oil
For topical use. Apply a few drops in the affected area and massage. It may also be mixed with hair and skin products. For this, add three to five drops of the oil to the products and use them like the usual.
For consumption. Clary Sage Essential Oil can be added to tea or water. Please take note that consuming or mixing the oil with food should only be done when the oil is pure and is produced by a reputable manufacturer.
For home-aromatherapy. Simply diffuse a maximum of three drops of pure Clary Sage Essential Oil and leave in the room. This can be used to aid in sleep, or even for meditating. For medicinal bathing, mix at most five drops into warm water that is either for final rinsing or soaking in the tub.
How to Make Clary Sage Oil
The clary sage plant’s flowers, flower buds, and leaves, are often the main ingredients used for oil extraction. The process retains, and even enhances, the fragrant properties of the original plant. Big companies use large amounts of this substance for producing perfume, but smaller bottles for medical purposes are also available.
Clary Sage Essential Oil Recipe
The ingredients for making Clary Sage Essential Oil are clary sage herb and pure olive oil. The materials needed are a sterilized glass jar, a paper towel, and a filter. Note that making your own essential oil at home may not parallel the quality of commercially produced Clary Sage Essential Oils.
- Dry your chosen parts (either flowers, buds, or leaves). Dry them naturally and set them in one clean layer.
- Chop or pound dried herb as finely as possible.
- Pour olive oil into a sterilized glass jar, and mix in the dried herbs. Seal the jar.
- Leave the glass jar in a place that receives direct sunlight (a window does the trick) for two to three weeks, carefully opening the jar and wiping off evaporation once a day.
- This step is optional. Once herbs appear to be infused, filter out plant debris.
- Store glass jar in a place away from sunlight.
Where to Buy Clary Sage Essential Oil
Bottles of the essential oil may be purchased from local specialty drugstores. Otherwise, you may opt to order online. Note that Clary Sage Essential Oil is significantly more expensive than other oils.
One website that sells good quality products is Young Living Essential Oils. They offer a small discount for bigger purchases.
iHerb is an online store that sells Clary Sage Essential Oil by Now Essential Oil for a relatively cheaper price. This site offers a discount when purchasing essential oils with the recommended products.
More Information on Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary Sage Essential Oil is most especially beneficial for non-pregnant women because of its ability to improve blood flow, as well as ease pains brought by hormonal imbalances during menstruation. Meanwhile, it can be used by men as well because it fights baldness.
Clary Sage Essential Oil FAQs
Question: Can Clary Sage Essential Oil be used on children?
Answer: Yes, but not for toddlers. Additionally, it should be limited only for external application. Using it for consumption should only be done upon the advice of a professional.
Question: Can Clary Sage Essential Oil be used directly on the eyes to improve eyesight, just as how people in the old times put clary sage seeds in the eyes?
Answer: No. Although the seeds have been used countless times in the past as alternative medicine for eyes, Clary Sage Essential Oil is a different substance and should not be used as an eye drop.