Carrot Seed Essential Oil is derived from the seeds of the wild carrot plant, which is also called Queen Anne’s Lace. The plant’s scientific name is Daucus Carota. It commonly grows in European countries, and it originated from France and Egypt, as well as in India.
It has remarkable health benefits, although it is not much used on its own for aromatherapy because some people find its scent strong. However, it is often mixed with other oils with better scent, to be used for aromatherapy. It can work as a stimulant, disinfectant, antioxidant, and more.
The essential oil has varying colors, which range from yellowish to brownish. When it comes to the scent, it could be strong to some, but it is warm, woody, and earthy in general. While it is commonly used as an antioxidant and antiseptic today, it has been used for several other purposes centuries ago.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Benefits
There are several benefits to using this essential oil including the following:
- Prevents signs of aging
- Cures infections
- Detoxifies the system
- Prevents cancer
- Treats gas problems
- Purifies system
- Increases urination
- Improves menstruation
- Stimulates the system
- Kills intestinal worms
- Tones muscles, tissues, and organs
Aside from the said benefits, it is also used in aromatherapy, often combined with other oils that have milder scent, as it can efficiently relieve anxiety and stress, giving that feeling of calmness and serenity. It is also popular in vapor therapy because of its positive effect on the digestive and respiratory system. This essential oil has been used for skin treatment. However, since it is a strong oil, it is recommended that a carrier or base oil is mixed, like olive or coconut oil to avoid skin irritation.
Since this essential oil can start menstruation, it should not be taken by pregnant women. Although there are recipes that include the mixture of Carrot Seed Essential Oil to other ingredients like water and honey for ingestion, make sure to consult your doctor before the use in this manner. The use of this oil more than its recommended dosage could cause convulsions and vomiting.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Uses
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Cytophylactic. This promotes the growth of new tissues and cells.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Tonic. It tones various parts of the body including the skin, preventing wrinkles, and sagging. It also tones the digestive system, stomach, liver, muscles, and tissues.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Vermifuge. It is effective in killing intestinal worms.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Stimulant. It stimulates various systems in the body allowing them to function properly, including the brain and organic systems.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Emenagogue. It regulates menstruation and relieves pain caused by it.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Diuretic. It increases urination preventing urinary infection. This is also a great way for cleaning the kidney and treating renal calculi. More frequent urination also helps lower blood pressure and decrease weight.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Depurative. It gets rid of toxins such as chemicals and uric acid that you get from the liquid and food you take. This essential oil purifies the excretory, digestive, and circulatory system.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Carminative. This helps relieve gas troubles.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Anti-Carcinogenic. It can help prevent or cure cancer, including cancer in the kidney, prostate, stomach, throat, and mouth.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Detoxifier. It removes toxins in the body, including those found in internal organs, muscles, tissues, and blood. This in turn provides relief on various health concerns like rheumatism, gout, arthritis, and edema.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Disinfectant, Antiviral, and Antiseptic. It can cure infection and revent the development of tetanus.
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil as Antioxidant. It repairs any damage on your tissue, giving you back that beautiful and youthful glow.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Side Effects
When used properly and with the recommended dosage, the use of carrot seed essential oil may have little to no side effects. While it is not the essential oil itself that has been proven to cause higher sun sensitivity on the skin because of the furanocoumarin that it contains, this may also be a concern with the use of this oil since it came from the wild carrot plant. This is why it suggested that you stay at least 72 hours indoors or cover your body if going out after applying this essential oil.
It may also cause irritation to sensitive skin so it’s not recommended for kids and pregnant women. The recommended dosage for carrot seed essential oil is 2 to 3 drops per day. Do not use more than the said amount to prevent problems, such as convulsions and vomiting.
How to Use Carrot Seed Essential Oil
There are various ways on how Carrot Seed Essential Oil is used and this includes the following:
- Mixed with other ingredients to make perfume and soap.
- Applied as a lotion to moisturize skin.
- Used for massage or aromatherapy for relaxation and treatment of various health problems.
- Used as a flavoring for sauces and various foods.
How to Make Carrot Seed Essential Oil
Carrot Seed Essential Oil as the term suggests is derived from the seeds of the wild carrot plant. Other parts of this plant are also used, although the seeds have the most amount of essential oil. The seeds are dried and then crushed. The crushed seeds then go through the process called steam distillation. It is important that the right temperature is maintained to release the essential oil without burning it.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil Recipe
Carrot Seed Essential Oil is known for its positive effect on skin. It repairs damaged tissue giving you a young and glowing skin. Here are two recipes that you can apply on your face and skin for a more beautiful you.
1. Skin Health Recipe
Combine the following ingredients and apply the mixture on your skin:
- 15 ml calendula-infused olive oil
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 drops of geranium essential oil
- 4 drops of chamomile essential oil
- 8 drops of wild carrot seed
2. Facial Blend Recipe
Mix the following ingredients together and apply it on your face:
- 15 ml jojoba oil
- 5 drops of vitamin E oil
- 2 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 4 drops of helichrysum italicum essential oil
- 8 drops of Carrot Seed Essential Oil
Where to Buy Carrot Seed Essential Oil
Carrot Seed Essential Oil is available on your local essential oil store. You can also order online. Make sure that you are only dealing with legitimate and trusted sellers to ensure that you are getting quality products. Do your research and read feedbacks prior to placing your order to prevent being scammed. Two of the top brands of Carrot Seed Essential Oil to try are Edens Gardens and Spark Naturals.
More Information on Carrot Seed Essential Oil
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil blends well with the essential oils of geranium, cedar wood, avocado, orange, lemon, lavender, juniper, and bergamot. This is also true with cucumber, palmarosa, patchouli, ginger root, clove bud, cinnamon bark, red mandarin, lime, and cassia.
- This essential oil is also a great addition to your skin moisturizer to make its effect more powerful.
- It is not recommended for pure Carrot Seed Essential Oil to be ingested.
- This essential oil is also used in food coloring. Carotene is the component that gives it that orange color and it can be extracted with the use of a solvent.
- Since it has a stimulant property, those who suffer from asthma or epilepsy must avoid its use to prevent the attack of these conditions.
- It is not the same as macerated carrot oil, which is cheaper in price.