Cannabis Essential Oil may not be one of the most popular essential oils used, mostly because of the controversy involved on the plant where it came from, which is cannabis or marijuana. However, it has several health benefits, including the treatment of cancer, lower stress and anxiety level, healthier heart, and many more. It is also used in skin care.
An ounce of cannabis parts will yield 3 to 5 grams of the essential oil. It has several powerful components, including beta-caryophyllene and myrcene, which help treat inflammation. The cannabis plant has been historically used as an herb.
However, it has this component called tetrahydrocannabinol or cannabinoid, which has psychoactive properties. This can be addictive and it can alter the mind of the person, which is why it was banned in many countries, including several states in the US. There are however some states that legalized the use of medical marijuana for those who meet specific conditions.
Cannabis Essential Oil Benefits
The use of Cannabis Essential Oil has several benefits including the following:
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Better sleep
- Improves appetite
- Relieves pain
- Prevents cancer
- Improves heart health
- Makes skin healthy
- Treats migraine and headache
- Treats glaucoma
Although this contains substances that have psychoactive features, it also has substances that are known to treat inflammation and relieve pain, which is why it is also used for treating various health problems. While delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol or THC is the main ingredient that is known for its mind-altering effect, this is not the only cannabis ingredient that does that as there are also others including delta-8-THC, tetrahydrocannabivarin, cannabigerol, cannabichromene, cannabidiol, and cannabinol. This is why it should still be taken with caution and it’s recommended that a physician is consulted before using it to ensure safety, especially if taking other treatments or suffering from various health problems.
Cannabis Essential Oil Uses
- Cannabis Essential Oil as Cancer Treatment. It can prevent cancer, as well as reduce the cancer tumor. It is also known to provide relief for those who suffer from pain caused by the said disease and its treatment.
- Cannabis Essential Oil for Skin Care. This oil can be applied on the skin or ingested to enjoy its skin benefits. Some of these benefits include having a healthy glowing skin, prevention of wrinkles, and protection from psoriasis and eczema.
- Cannabis Essential Oil for Pain Relief. It is known to relieve all kinds of pain from chronic pain to pain caused by inflammation.
- Cannabis Essential Oil for Migraine and Headache Treatment. Applying this oil on the part of the head where you feel the pain is effective in making you feel better.
- Cannabis Essential Oil for Eye Health Care. This oil has been proven to prevent macular degeneration and reduce glaucoma.
- Cannabis Essential Oil for Heart Care. It can also serve as an antioxidant, which has a good effect on the heart. Bad and excessive cholesterol will be animated protecting the heart.
- Cannabis Essential Oil as Appetite Booster. It can make people eat more, which is perfect for those who would like to gain weight.
- Cannabis Essential Oil for Better Sleep. It calms the mind promoting better sleep. This is a great option for those who suffer from insomnia.
- Cannabis Essential Oil for Stress and Anxiety Relief. The relief of anxiety and stress is one of the most popular benefits of using Cannabis Essential Oil. THC releases the hormones that give that feeling of pleasure. This can effectively calm the mind.
- Cannabis as Asthma Treatment. Asthma is a deadly disease that affects millions of people around the world. Cannabis has been traditionally used for treating asthma, including by the Chinese and Indians in the early years. Cannabis Essential Oil can dilate the bronchial tube allowing oxygen to flow properly. It also has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Cannabis Essential Oil Side Effects
The use of Cannabis Essential Oil may have several benefits, but it also comes with some side effects. One of them is addiction. You may get hooked and take more than what is recommended for the treatment of your disease. It has mind-altering properties so this can be harmful. Other side effects are lower sex drive, difficulty focusing, increased heart rate, and bronchitis. While is it is used as a treatment for various health concerns, make sure that you only take what is recommended by your physician as not only will you be suffering from side effects if high dosage is taken, but you may also have problems with the law.
How to Use Cannabis Essential Oil
Those who are using Cannabis Essential Oil for the treatment of various health concerns like cancer should take an amount that is equivalent to the size of half grain of white rice. This dosage should last for a week. After that, double the dosage every four days until 1 ml or 1 gram per day is used. This is the average dosage to use per day until the disease or health problem is treated. However, there are those that increase the dosage from 2 to 3 ml or gram per day, depending on the severity of the concern. It can also be applied on the skin or body instead of being ingested, especially for skin care and headache relief.
How to Make Cannabis Essential Oil
There are various ways on how essential oils are extracted, including distillation, solvent extraction, cold pressing, absolute oil extraction, and expression. The most common extraction methods used for Cannabis Essential Oil are distillation and solvent extraction. Distillation is a better extraction method because with solvent extraction, there might be some solvent residues left in the extracted oil, which may not be good for the health. Cannabis flower and leaves are used in steam distillation. This is a process of separating the essential oil of cannabis from the rest of the flower and leaves used. Essential oils are less soluble when it comes to hot temperature water so it remains during the process.
Cannabis Essential Oil Recipe
Cannabis Essential Oil is known for its good effect on the skin. You may try this facial oil recipe using Cannabis Essential Oil to give you smooth and hydrated skin.
- Cannabis Essential Oil
- Hemp seed carrier oil
- 1-ounce bottle
- Frankincense essential oil
- French lavender essential oil
- Add hemp seed carrier oil on up to 2/3 of the bottle.
- Add 1 drop of frankincense essential oil, 3 drops of French lavender essential oil, and 2 drops of Cannabis Essential Oil.
- Place the cap on the bottle and shake all the ingredients together to mix properly.
- Wash your face and dry.
- Apply some of the mixture on your face.
- Make sure to prevent contact on the eyes.
Where to Buy Cannabis Essential Oil
Cannabis Oil is easily available online, including Amazon. There are various sites offering this product in different countries around the world. Please make sure that the use of Cannabis Essential Oil is allowed in your area to prevent any problems. One of the top brands that has great feedbacks from users is Edens Garden.
More Information on Cannabis Essential Oil
- Use of Cannabis Essential Oil during pregnancy. Although researches are still ongoing with regards to use of Cannabis Essential Oil during pregnancy, many doctors recommend avoiding its use. This is because its substances including THC will be passed to the baby, causing it to experience the side effects. This is also true for nursing moms.
- Use of Cannabis Essential Oil for pets & CBD for dogs – Cannabis Essential Oil is also used on pets, including cats and dogs for treating various health treatments. It can be applied as topical treatment, although it is mostly administered orally. Some of the health concerns that it treats are gastrointestinal problems, cancer, back pain, arthritis, anxiety, stress, nausea, and seizure. The right dosage must be provided and it’s recommended to check with a veterinary for its use.