Also known by its scientific name Citrofortunella microcarpa, Calamansi is said to have been originated from China. But then, it is cultivated and more widely known in the Philippines. Through the years, its growth expanded to India, Malaysia and throughout Southern and East Asia. Although it bears fruit every four years, it’s definitely worth the wait for harvest season because it’s filled with phosphorous, calcium, iron and especially vitamin C. It is responsible for increasing the body’s resistance from diseases and also prevents more ailments to take control of the body. These minerals are also present when the extracts of calamansi is turned into essential oil.
This essential oil is produced from the extracts of calamansi, which is suitable for use in aromatherapy due to its rich fruit aroma; for skin care alternative as it has an element good for skin whitening; for removing bad odors not only in the body but also in fabrics due to it’s strong citrus scent and mostly; and for medicinal use both internal and external.
Like any other essential oils, this type of oil has multiple uses and benefits. It can be a remedy for common diseases such as colds and cough but Calamansi Essential Oil is best known for eliminating unwanted odors especially in the armpit. Because the nose is more sensitive to citrus smells, it overpowers the other scents present in the area. While calamansi alone can also produce benefits especially for medications used via food and drinks, Calamansi Essential Oil is useful in skincare such as collagen production and skin toner and aids better in mental behaviors. The citrus smell that it produces is what puts the mind into a state of relaxation, thus lowering the occurrence of such mental health issues that should be addressed.
Calamansi Essential Oil Benefits
Calamansi Essential Oil benefits include:
- Great use for aromatherapy
- Fights body odor
- Skin medication
- Hair agent and cleanser
- Alleviates depression and anxiety
- Relieves respiratory ailments
In a study (Antianxiety and Antidepressive Effects of Essential Oils of Citrus Spp in Mice) conducted by Che Rugayah from the Department of Pharmacology in the University Sains Malaysia, it was indicated that smelling of Calamansi Essential Oil has an effect on anti-anxiety, thus affecting behavior in a positive way.
Calamansi Essential Oil Uses
- Calamansi Essential Oil for Aromatherapy. Many researches indicated the use of Calamansi Essential Oil as beneficiary to alleviate mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. The scent that it gives off is enough to relax and refresh one’s mind. Depression and anxiety are the most experienced mental health issue worldwide, and with the help of Calamansi Essential Oil it can improve their behavior and lessen their anxiousness as it helps the mind rest.
- Calamansi Essential Oil as Deodorizer. This essential oil specializes in eliminating the unwanted odors, not only in the body, but also in fabrics and other things sensible to strong odors. To effectively use Calamansi Essential Oil in removing the bad smell (e.g in a room), put it in a spray bottle. Making a linen spray of Calamansi Essential Oil can leave your room smelling fresh. If you’re going to use it in your body, it is muh better to rub it directly than use any sponge or anything similar as it will only absorb most of the essential oil.
- Calamansi Essential Oil as Dandruff Remover. Having dandruff comes with the feeling of itchiness of the scalp. These small to medium flakes are the agents of itchiness Use Calamansi Essential Oil by rubbing it directly to your scalp. Apart from easing the irritation and itchiness of the scalp, it can also prevent dryness. As you use it to remove dandruff, it also increases your hair volume which makes it the real deal for hair agent and cleanser.
- Calamansi Essential Oil as Skin Bleaching Agent. The reason why Calamansi Essential Oil is not just used for removing bad odor, but also by refining bad skin is because it produces a lot of vitamin C which strengthens the immune system, thus, resulting to increased collagen production in the body. Due to its mild, natural and effective extract, it can also be applied on the face and body without stirring up any irritation. It can also be mixed up with other natural ingredients and can be used as face and body masks.
- Calamansi Essential Oil as Cough/Cold Reliever. It is mostly known to aid respiratory ailments such as cough. If you are not fond of getting calamansi juice intakes, Calamansi Essential Oil can do the work for you by just inhaling the scent. But to make it more better and effective, you can partner it up with other essential oils such as eucalyptus and peppermint. These essential oils are known for their mint factor which helps relieves colds and cough by widening the airway passage. Boil these essential oils altogether and then inhale the steam.
Calamansi Essential Oil Side Effects
The only side effect it holds is the open wounds’ sensitivity towards it. Although it can also be used to aid wound healing, it will sting like rubbing alcohol. But other than that, there are no researches or findings yet whether the Calamansi Essential Oil has any bad effects when used.
Also, everyone has a different type of skin, and some essential oils can cause irritation. Allergies and pregnancy must also be considered so it is most advisable to always do patch test before using.
How To Use Calamansi Essential Oil
- Aromatheraphy. In using Calamansi Essential Oil for aiding anxiety and depression, gently rub some of it on your hand, and inhale the aroma. You can also directly inhale it from its container but it might come out too strong so it is more advisable to use in smaller portions.
- Deodorizer. In using it for eliminating odors coming from the body, directly rub it to your skin.It is recommended to directly apply Calamansi Essential Oil from your hand to the part of the skin it will be needed, as cotton balls will just absorb the oil. For odors inside a room, or other cornered places, it is best to use spray bottles and spray 1-2 times only because citrus smell is sensitive to the human nose.
- Internal Use. For respiratory ailments, boil it in water together with other ingredients you like such as honey or some sugar, or you can put it in teas. As long as it is not mixed together with other chemicals not safe for consumption, Calamansi Essential Oil can be ingested. If you are not comfortable with the taste, inhaling its aromatic scent can help as well.
How To Make Calamansi Essential Oil
Calamansi Essential Oils are produced by extraction of calamansi either through cold pressed or steam distillation. Cold pressing is basically crushing the seed and squeezing out the oil. Steam distillation deals with the temperature sensitive materials like natural aromatic compounds.
Calamansi Essential Oil Recipe
There are easier and cheaper ways to make your own Calamansi Essential Oil especially if it’s not available in your area. Here is the easy way to make your DIY Calamansi Essential Oil:
- You need to zest the peel of the citrus fruit and then combine it all with a base oil (you can use grapeseed oil).
- As you mix it altogether, use a double boiler and separate the container of the mixed ingredients.
- Just let it float around the larger container, and stir it from time to time so as to check it so it won’t over boil.
- When done, you can now put it in a small bottle container.
Where to Buy Calamansi Essential Oil
You can find Calamansi Essential Oil in Casa de Lorenzo, an online shopping store that sells different types of essential oils, soaps and other organic products. You can check out their website here: thecasadelorenzo.com. If you’re looking for a physical store, you can look for it at Healthy Options near your area.
More information on Calamansi Essential Oil
- It is not advisable for use during the first trimester of pregnancy. It also applies to other essential oils
- Calamansi Essential Oil also helps in increasing concentration and alertness
- It is a great booster for the immune system