The Cajuput tree can be found in Australia, Indonesia and Malaysia. It is often compared to tea tree oil. It belongs to the same tea tree-melaleuca family. Both oils have similar qualities like its camphor aroma.
Cajeput or Cajuput Essential Oil is derived from its Latin name. Cajeput is an Indonesia word meaning white wood (kayu putih or Minyak Kayu Putih). It is also known as the weeping tea tree or the weeping paperback.
Cajuput Essential Oil is an extract from the leaves and twigs taken from the Cajuput tree. The tree has a scientific name of Melaleuca Cajuputi. The Cajuput Essential Oil contains chief components like Caryophyllene, Beta Pinene, Alpha Pinene, Limonene, Alpha Terpineol, Alpha Terpinene, Gamma Terpinene, Terpineol, Terpinolen, Cineole, Linalool, Cymene, and Myrcene. The extraction process of the Cajuput Essential Oil involves stem distillation of the leaves and twigs similar to how Eucalyptus oil is extracted.
Cajuput Essential Oil Benefits
Cajuput Essential Oil benefits include:
- Helps reduce fever
- Relieves Neuralgia
- Relieves pain in joints and muscle
- Relieves pain from intestinal worms
- Promotes blood circulation and perspiration
- Cures microbial infections
- Relieves colds and congestion
Cajuput Essential Oil Uses
- Cajuput Essential Oil as Bactericide and Antiseptic. Cajuput Essential Oil is very efficient in fighting off bacterial infections as well as those caused by virus, tetanus, fungi, influenza and infectious diseases such as typhoid and cholera. It can be applied externally to wounds and cuts from rusty iron to protect you against tetanus until the proper vaccine has been given.
- Cajuput Essential Oil as Antineuralgic. Neuralgia is a condition that causes pain to the entire oral zone that includes the throat, tonsils, ears, larynx, nose and pharynx. The pain is caused by the compression of the 9th cranial nerve or the Glossopharyngeal by its surrounding blood vessels. It leads to swelling from eating, chewing, shouting, laughing or any movement that causes excitement in that area. The oil provides instant relief by reducing the pain and cooling down and relaxing the blood vessels. The swelling is reduced and relieves the pressure from the nerve.
- Cajuput Essential Oil as Expectorant and Decongestant. Similar to how eucalyptus oil is used, it is also an efficient expectorant and decongestant. Cajuput Essential Oil gives relief to congested throat, nose and other respiratory organs. It also cures coughs, inflamed throat, infections, laryngitis, bronchitis and pharyngitis.
- Cajuput Essential Oil as Stimulant and Sudorific. Cajuput Essential Oil stimulates the organs to create a warm effect. It activates secretions and promotes circulation. It stimulated Echini glands to promote perspiration and acts as a sudorific. These are all beneficial for your body because it removes the toxins thru perspiration.
- Cajuput Essential Oil as Analgesic. As an analgesic, Cajuput reduces feelings of pain. It could be applied locally on an infected tooth during a toothache or by rubbing on the forehead during a headache. If consumed, it reduced joint pains, headache and muscle pain due to fever and colds. Drink in a solution that is highly diluted.
Cajuput Essential Oil Side Effects
There are no records of any adverse effects in using the oil but ingestion of large amounts or in high concentrations may cause irritation. It is safer to use small amounts or mild doses.
Inhaling Cajuput Essential Oil could trigger asthma attacks. It contains limonene that makes the oil unsuitable to use in ultrasonic diffusers for aromatherapy. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations before using in a diffuser.
Consult your doctor before using the oil. The doctor will determine if Cajuput has any adverse effects and complicate pre-existing conditions or have side effects if used with other medications.
It is not safe for breastfeeding mothers, pregnant women and children.
Be sure to perform a patch test before using to prevent allergic reactions.
How to Use Cajuput Essential Oil
- As a vermifuge and insecticide. The oil is effective in driving away and killing insects. It has insecticidal properties that are strong. A diluted solution could be vaporized using a vaporizer or sprayed to drive away ants, mosquitoes and other pests away from the room. For added benefits, dip the mosquito next in its solution. You can also rub the oil on the body to drive away insects. Drink a diluted solution with water to kill intestinal worms.
- In cosmetics and as a tonic. Cajuput Essential Oil brightens and smoothes the skin while protecting it from skin infections like furunculosis. It is extensively used in formulating antiseptic creams and cosmetic. As a general tonic, it tones the skin.
- In aromatherapy. Inhaling the vapors of Cajuput Essential Oil from a diffuser gives relief to anxiety, congestion and gives the room a refreshing scent. However, this essential oil is not recommended for asthmatics.
How to Make Cajuput Essential Oil
Cajuput Essential Oil is obtained by the steam distillation of its young leaves. It is recommended to be collected during autumn. The leaves are steeped overnight in water and then steam distilled in copper vessels. It yields a thin, light oil that is blue-green in color. It has a strong aroma similar to spicy pepper and camphor. It gives a feeling of hot followed by cold. It also has a bitter taste.
Cajuput Essential Oil Recipe
Beauty Tonic for Skin Eruptions
- 1 tsp or 5 ml almond oil
- 1 tsp or 5 ml castor oil
- 2 drops wheat germ
- 5 drops Cajuput Essential Oil
- Mix 1 tsp or 5 ml each of castor oil and almond oil, 5 drops Cajuput Essential Oil and 2 drops of wheat germ oil.
- Apply the mixture gently on the skin eruption.
- Repeat the process for a few more times until you get better. It is an effective mild counter-irritant.
Where to Buy Cajuput Essential Oil
You can buy Cajuput Essential Oil in bulk at online websites like Amazon and Alibaba. There are online sites that sell essential oils such as Lalaessentialoils.com, mountainroseherbs.com, newdirectionsaromatics.com, bulkapothecary.com and others.
More Information on Cajuput Essential Oil
- Cajuput Essential Oil blends well with oils like Angelica, Cloves, Bergamot, Lavender, Thyme and Geranium.
- Cajuput Essential Oil relieves cramps because of its anti-spasmodic nature. It also acts as a stimulant, emenagogue and clears an obstructed menstruation. As a detoxifier, it cures acne and pimples. As an anti-inflammatory, it relieves inflammation.
- Cajuput Essential Oil is not used for culinary purposes.