Benzoin Essential Oil, although not one of the more popular essential oils, has already been in use for centuries for mainly religious purposes. Its medicinal components include disinfectant, antidepressant, anti-rheumatic and sedative substances. The oil is gold in color, thick and fragrant. Many people use this essential oil for its beneficial properties that can help cure and prevent ailments. Vanillin is the component of Benzoin Essential Oil that gives its sweet and thick aroma. But even if the scent of the oil is that of vanilla, its taste is quite pungent. Other constituents include cinnamic acid, benzy benzoate, coniferyl benzoate, benzoic acid and benzaldehyde. Another name for Benzoin Essential Oil is benzoin resinoid.
Benzoin Essential Oil is derived from benzoin tree, which grows in the Asian regions of Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia and Malaysia. It can grow to as high as 66 feet. Benzoin Essential Oil has several uses, including cosmetic and medicinal uses. One of its medicinal uses is curing skin diseases including psoriasis and eczema. These skin illnesses are itchy, and the components of Benzoin Essential Oil relieve itching.
The essential oil is extracted from the resin of the benzoin tree. It has a very calming effect that lifts the mood and evokes positive emotions, thereby relieving depression and anxiety. Aside from essential oil, the resin of the benzoin tree can be made into other products, such as powder and tincture solutions. Another use for Benzoin Essential Oil is a base form perfumes, thanks to its vanilla scent.
Benzoin Essential Oil Benefits
Benzoin Essential Oil offers a host of benefits that can help users treat different illnesses and promote overall good health. When you learn about the benefits of Benzoin Essential Oil, you will want to buy a bottle for yourself and for the family.
- Improves pancreatic function. When the pancreas functions properly, proper digestion is then promoted.
- Effective in controlling blood sugar. Diabetes sufferers benefit greatly from this factor.
- Improves the skin’s elasticity. Benzoin Essential Oil is very beneficial to the skin. It can relieve itching, irritation and redness.
- Heals wounds. The healing process of wounds is hastened with the help of Benzoin Essential Oil.
- Promotes urination. Regular urination helps flush out the toxins from the body.
- Effective for arthritis and rheumatism pain. It relieves pain associated with these conditions.
- Relieves stress. It promotes a cheerful disposition and relaxes the mind, thereby relieving stress that can cause a host of illnesses.
- Protects wounds. The oil acts as a shield to protect the wounds from infections.
- Enhances blood circulation. Proper blood flow is essential in overall health.
- Effective respiratory aid. Illnesses of the respiratory tract are cured, such as cough, colds, bronchitis and others.
If you are suffering from various illnesses that Benzoin Essential Oil can help treat or prevent, using the right doses will give you the benefit that you need.
Benzoin Essential Oil Uses
- Benzoin Essential Oil Anti-arthritic and Anti-rheumatic. External application of Benzoin Essential Oil onto the affected area gives great relief to arthritis and rheumatism.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Anti-inflammatory. Measles, pox and other skin eruptions are given cure by Benzoin Essential Oil.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Diuretic. The oil promotes frequent urination, which in turn flushes out toxins from the bloodstream.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Expectorant. The respiratory tract is cleared of mucus that causes respiratory ailments such as cough, bronchitis, etc.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Astringent. Benzoin Essential Oil’s astringent property makes the skin, muscles and even the gums tight and strong.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Deodorant. Strong odors are masked, if not fully eliminated, by Benzoin Essential Oil. It is suitable for removing odors in rooms as well as in the body.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Anti-flatulent. It helps in eliminating gases form the body.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Antiseptic. Wounds heal faster when applied with diluted Benzoin Essential Oil because of its antiseptic properties.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Sedative. Anxiety, tension and other brain disorders are helped cured by Benzoin Essential Oil for its sedative property.
- Benzoin Essential Oil as Antidepressant. The vanilla aroma of the oil uplifts the spirits, helping the brain get rid of depressive thoughts and promote a happy disposition.
Benzoin Essential Oil Side Effects
Benzoin Essential Oil is toxic in nature, which is why it is emphasized to use the oil sparingly – just a few drops – for every use to prevent excessive use that can cause symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, dizziness, headache or worse, lack of oxygen in the blood. When used as a topical agent, make sure not to use it on broken or wounded skin as it can cause irritation and may worsen the condition of the wound.
Because Benzoin Essential Oil is a relaxing agent, taking large amounts of this oil may induce sedation, which can impede in concentration. Pregnant women should not use the oil topically as it can induce irritation. This oil should be kept out of children’s reach to avoid accidental ingestion. Ingesting undiluted Benzoin Essential Oil and any other essential oil for that matter can be toxic and may cause severe reactions to the body.
How to Use Benzoin Essential Oil
Two to three drops of Benzoin Essential Oil into carrier oil for topical use should be sufficient. Just one drop of the oil with one drop of carrier oil can be used for inhalation to relieve respiratory symptoms.
How to Make Benzoin Essential Oil
The resin of the benzoin tree is used to make the essential oil. Slits are made into the trunk of the benzoin tree. The sap that comes out of these slits is grayish in color, and hardens and becomes brittle. It is when the sap is collected from the tree and processed to make it into essential oil. It is important to note that not all benzoin trees can be used to extract essential oil. Only those that are seven years old or older can be used. The process by which the essential oil is derived is solvent extraction.
Benzoin Essential Oil Recipe
Benzoin Essential Oil is very effective in relieving psoriasis and eczema, skin conditions that are itchy and irritating. Here is a recipe using Benzoin Essential Oil that psoriasis and eczema sufferers can make to apply to the affected areas.
- 3 drops of Benzoin Essential Oil
- 25ml of green powdered clay
- Distilled water
- Small dish
For chamomile infusion rinse:
- 3 heads of dried chamomile
- 1 cup boiling water
- Add the first three ingredients altogether in a small dish to produce a smooth paste. Add water gradually to avoid making a runny mixture.
- Apply the paste right after it is made onto the affected areas and let sit for twenty minutes.
- Make the chamomile infusion by putting the chamomile into the boiling water for ten minutes. Strain the mixture and let cool.
- After 20 minutes, rinse the areas with the chamomile infusion.
Where to Buy Benzoin Essential Oil
Esoteric Oils is one brand that carries Benzoin Essential Oil, and it can be bought from the company’s website. The Internet is a good place to shop for Benzoin Essential Oil. Amazon and eBay carry different brands of Benzoin Essential Oils that you can choose from that differ in sizes and prices. You can also find one from stores where essential oils are sold, or you can make your own blend right in your home.
Benzoin Essential Oil FAQs
Why is Benzoin Essential Oil called benzoin resinoid?
This is because the oil is extracted from the resin of benzoin tree. The sap hardens and gets brittle when it dries, producing a resin, hence the name benzoin resinoid.
How can Benzoin Essential Oil be poured out of the bottle easily?
Benzoin Essential Oil is thick in consistency, and it can be a chore to pour it out. What you can do is take a glass of hot water and let the sealed bottle sit for ten minutes. It should now be easier and less thick to pour out and use.