Savory (Satureia Montana) is a perennial subshrub originally cultivated in Europe and North Africa and is a part of the rosemary and thyme species. This is also known as “Mountain Savory”, “Winter Savory” or “White Thyme”. Savory or Satureja was derived from the Latin word “Satureia” or “Satyr’s herb”. This oil can make you feel that you are savoring the refreshing and relaxing air on the mountaintops. This was known by Ancient Romans as the “herb of virility and love”. For hundreds of years, Savory was also used for its vast medicinal properties, relaxing benefits and increases a person’s sex drive. This is used as ingredient to love potions and added to wine or massage lotion. In culinary, this herb was used to flavor meat, seafood, stews and other dishes. It was also added to vinegar to improve the digestive system. The Americans used Savory instead of pepper to season their food.
Savory Essential Oil was extracted from the leaves and flowers of the shrub and its components are 40-50% Phenol, 30-40% Carvacol and 20-30% Thymol, Cineol, Cymene and Pinene. This oil is also an excellent source of Potassion, Iron, Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc and Selenium.
Savory Essential Oil possesses a distinct, peppery yet sweet smell that is unique and relaxing. Traditionally, Savory was known as flavoring to food but later on this oil has been discovered to have immense therapeutic effects in the body. It improves the circulatory and nervous system and has various properties that are important in maintaining a healthy body. Savory Essential Oil is also known as a terrific energy booster.
Aside from being an aromatic and flavorful ingredient to dishes and component of soaps and perfumes, this powerful oil is considered antibacterial, anti-fungal and a good source of antioxidant. Moreover, this essential oil is considered as one of the best aphrodisiacs because it can stimulate the mind, body and senses.
Savory Essential Oil Benefits
Savory Essential Oil has diverse range of benefits to the body and these are as follows:
- Pain reliever
- Relief for rheumatic aches and pains
- Relief for arthritis
- Relief from stress, depression and anxiety
- Relief for nausea
- Boosts blood circulation
- Increases sex drive
- Improves the nervous system
- Improve the respiratory system
- Cure for insect bites
- Cure for wounds, burns and cuts
- Cure for menstrual cramps
- Treatment of mouth sores
- Treatment of acne
- Treatment of asthma
- Treatment of diarrhea and gastrointestinal problems
- Treatment for hair loss and scalp problems
Savory Essential Oil Uses
- Savory Essential Oil as Antiseptic. Because of very high Phenol content, this essential oil is a very strong antiseptic used in treating wounds, burns and cuts when used topically. It can help dry up wounds quickly and lessen bleeding and pain. This is also helpful in curing insect bites.
- Savory Essential Oil as Antibacterial. Savory Essential Oil has Carvacrol that have strong antibacterial properties that can prevent the multiplication of different kinds of bacteria in the body.
- Savory Essential Oil as Antifungal. This essential oil can protect the body from fungal infections and inhibit the growth of fungi that can cause sickness.
- Savory Essential Oil as Antidepressant. Because of the refreshing and relaxing aroma of Savory Essential Oil, this can make you feel that you are on top of the mountain and can relieve you from feelings of stress and depression. It can also help in preventing mental exhaustion and breakdown.
- Savory Essential Oil as Antioxidant. This oil has great effect in the immune system of the body. This can help protect the body from oxidative stress that comes from free radicals. This can protect the body from the depletion of cells which can make you look younger and your skin more rejuvenated. As a result, this can cure acne and other skin imperfections.
- Savory Essential Oil as Anti-inflammatory. For people who are suffering from asthma and experience skin diseases such as eczema, psoriasis or acne which can cause redness of the skin. This essential oil can help in alleviating the pain and swelling.
- Savory Essential Oil as Aphrodisiac. This oil can is a natural body energizer. It can be added to wine, tea or food to induce sexual drive and need for intimacy. During the early times, parents add this oil to their daughter’s food in order to make sure that they satisfy their future husbands.
- Savory Essential Oil as Pain Reliever. This oil can soothe the body from feeling any pain whether outside or inside of the body. This can also help relax the muscles and reduce feelings of tiredness and soreness.
- Savory Essential Oil as Relief for Rheumatic Pains. Savory Essential Oil can help in alleviating the pain caused by rheumatic pains and arthritis. Just rub a few drops on the affected part continuously for weeks to get natural relief.
- Savory Essential Oil as Relief for Nausea. The aroma of Savory Essential Oil can provide instant relief from nausea, dizziness or headache. \
- Savory Essential Oil to Improve Blood Circulation. This can help in the proper circulation of the blood and promote better blood flow. This is very important in keeping your body in tiptop shape and control heart rate.
- Savory Essential Oil to Improve Nervous System. This helps relax the nerves of the body and promote better brain function.
- Savory Essential Oil to Improve Respiratory Function. Savory oil can help the body in developing a better respiratory system. This can help in treatment of bronchitis, asthma, coughs, colds and a good expectorant.
- Savory Essential Oil to Improve Digestive System. For stomach ache, indigestion problem, colic and flatulence. This also improves intestinal function as well.
- Savory Essential Oil as Treatment for Hair Loss and Scalp Problems. This oil can help prevent hair loss because it is very rich in vitamins and mineral that can promote hair growth. Also, this oil is a good cure for dandruff problems.
- Savory Essential Oil as Mouthwash. This can treat mouth sores and used as ingredient for mouthwash to promote healthier teeth and fresh breath.
Savory Essential Oil Side Effects
- Savory Essential Oil has various therapeutic effects in the body but some people are allergic to it and caution should be observed. Always perform a skin patch test before using this oil.
- Children, pregnant and lactating mothers are advised to stay away from Savory Essential Oil and should only be used upon professional advice.
- Excessive use can have adverse effects in the body.
- For people with liver problems, use of Savory Essential Oil is not advised.
- Avoid contact with eyes and private areas of the body.
How to Use Savory Essential Oil
Savory Essential Oil can be used in a lot of ways. You can put a few drops in an oil diffuser for aromatherapy for a relaxing and energizing atmosphere in the hope. This oil can be ingested to treat internal problems but make sure that it is diluted. Furthermore, Savory Essential Oil can be used as massage oil to relieve sore muscles and joint aches and pains.
How to Make Savory Essential Oil
This oil is mainly derived from the leaves of the Savory but some also include the flower buds. Through steam distillation, this oil is produced. The leaves and flowers are dried and put to boil until the oil is extracted. The oil is placed in dark colored bottles for increased shelf life.
Savory Essential Oil Recipe
Savory Essential Oil is a very good antiseptic. You can make your own solution for cuts, wounds and burns.
You will need:
- 100ml 70% alcohol solution
- 10 ml or 2tsp Soya Oil
- 2-3 drops of Wheatgerm Oil
- Savory Essential Oil
In a dark bottle, pour the 70% alcohol solution and add 3-4 drops of Savory Essential Oil. Apply on the affected area to stop bleeding and relieve pain.
- In another dark bottle, pour the soya oil then add 2-3 drops of Wheat germ Oil and 3-4 drops of Savory Essential Oil. Mix thoroughly and apply on affected areas. This can help promote immediate healing and development of scar.
Known as a powerful aphrodisiac, you can make this aphrodisiac wine by following these steps:
You will need
- 5 g Savory Leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Angostura bitters
- Madeira Wine
Add Savory leaves, sugar and Angostura bitters to a bottle of Madeira Wine.
Set aside for about 2-4 hours before use.
Where to Buy Savory Essential Oil
This powerful essential oil can be bought online. Online stores such as Amazon.com deliver worldwide. Various brands are also available but top brands include Edens Garden and doTerra.
More Information on Savory Essential Oil
- Before adding this oil to your food or beverage, consult your health practitioner.
- This oil is best when mixed with lavender, peppermint, pine needle, citrus, rosemary and spearmint essential oils.
- This is also a commercially used ingredient for cosmetic production such as lotions, soaps and body lotion.
- You can use this oil as alternative to salt and pepper especially for people who are in a low sodium diet.