Sassafras Tree is a tall tree that can grow to 18m or 60ft in height. This is tree is called the Ocotea pretiosa and part of Lauraceae Species. This is mostly cultivated and originated from North America and was called “laurel of the Iroquois” because during the ancient times, this tree was highly valued for its wondrous healing effects on the human body. From North America, it has been used in various parts of Asia, Europe and England. The different parts of that this tree constitutes the Sassafras Essential Oil. From the inner part of the roots and bark, the part where you can extract the most oil, up to the leaves and flowers can result to yellow or reddish yellow essential oil.
Sassafras Essential Oil came from the leaves, bark, branches, stems, fruits, flowers and roots of the Sassafras Tree. This oil has impressive nutritional values that can immensely improve kidney, digestive, reproductive, dental and skin health. Because of its distinct and pleasant taste, Sassafras Essential Oil is also found to be useful as food additive and flavouring to medicine. This also has a soothing aroma that can help release tension and stress and used as ingredient to soap and perfume.
Sassafras Essential Oil is composed of roughly 80% Safrol and Pinene, 8-10% Cadinen, Camphene, Eugenol, Oleo resins, Phellandrene, Tannic Acid and Wax. This oil should be used with utmost care and professional supervision because its main ingredient, Safrol has been found to be carcinogenic.
It is most popular in Eastern North America and other parts of Asia. This oil was traditionally used by natives for medicinal purposes. As years goes by, more and more health benefits and even cosmetic and culinary uses of Sassafras Essential Oil has been discovered. Although this essential oil is not commonly known, this boasts a variety of purposes that greatly affects overall wellness.
Sassafras Essential Oil Benefits
Sassafras Essential Oil has a variety of uses and these are as follows:
- Treats head lice
- Relieves stress and feelings of anxiety and depression
- Treating blemishes and skin rashes
- Relieves rheumatic aches and pains
- Ease menstrual pain
- Strengthens the liver and improves its function
- Removes unwanted toxins in the body
- Boosts kidney health
- Prevents hypertension
- Pain reliever
- Improves immune system
- Improves and protects dental health
- Improves digestive health
- Energy booster
- Management of urinary tract infection
- Cures eye irritation and infection
Sassafras Essential Oil Uses
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Anti-inflammatory. This essential oil can help reduce redness and swelling of the skin and lesson or completely eliminate the itchiness of eye infection and irritation.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Antioxidant. This oil can help reduce oxidative stress and prevent the unwanted effects of free radicals in the body. It is also an immune system booster that can lower the risk of certain cancers. This can also promote healthier skin which can lessen pimples, blemishes and other skin impurities.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Antiseptic. In the ancient times until today, this oil is used to heal wounds and cuts. It inhibits the growth of bacteria and can help in speeding the healing process.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Antidepressant. Like other essential oils, Sassafras Essential Oil can help in relaxing a tensed or stressed mind and body. When diffused, it will produce a soothing aroma that can instantly sooth and calm your muscles.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Diuretic. Sassafras Essential Oil can help flush away unwanted toxins and excess salt, water and fats from the body and improve kidney function.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Treatment for Skin Diseases. This oil can help in relieving the skin from boils, sores, rashes, discoloration of the skin, eczema and psoriasis when applied topically.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Treatment to Head Lice. Adding drops of sassafras oil in a glass of water can help in eliminating head lice and prevent it from coming back. Consistently do this for once a week for 4 weeks to get results.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Relief to Gout and Rheumatic Aches and Pains. When applied topically on affected areas especially on joints, you can experience complete relief from gout as well as rheumatic aches and pains. Do this for 30-45 straight days to get results.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Relief to Menstrual Pain. For fast relief from menstrual pain, a few drops of this oil with a glass of water will do the trick. This can also proper blood flow in the body that can help prevent bloating, cramps and heavy bleeding. This is highly recommended for women who suffer painful periods.
- Sassafras Essential Oil as Energy Booster. This oil can help stimulate the senses and give you an instant lift when you are feeling tired and weary. You can put a few drops of this essential oil in hot water to boost your energy and eliminate feeling of weakness.
- Sassafras Essential Oil for Digestive Health. A few drops of this oil mixed with water can help soothe an upset stomach. This can improve the functionality of your intestines as well.
- Sassafras Essential Oil for Liver Health. This oil can strengthen the liver and improve its function.
- Sassafras Essential Oil for Dental Health. The twigs of the Sassafras trees were traditionally used as toothbrushes. Today, it is proven that this essential oil can help in reducing pain and swelling in the gums and teeth.
Sassafras Essential Oil Side Effects
Although this oil has a lot of therapeutic effects on the body, Sassafras Essential Oil is rich in Safrole, a carcinogenic ingredient. So before you use this essential oil to reap its benefits, it is wise to ask for the advice of your physician. Even small amounts of concentrated Sassafras Essential Oil can have adverse reactions such as nausea and vomiting to the body and when ingested in large dosage can possibly lead to death.
How to Use Sassafras Essential Oil
Sassafras Essential Oil can be used in a variety of ways. You can use it as aromatherapy, topically or internally.
- The unique smell of this essential oil can be enjoyed by putting a few drops in an oil diffuser. Inhaling it can have comforting effects and can help induce restful sleep.
- You can make your own massage oil by using base oil and adding a few drops of Sassafras Essential Oil to it. You can also mix this with other essential oils for a more calming and powerful effect.
- If you opt for this procedure, you should consult with your doctor first. You can add a few drops of this oil to water and drink the solution.
How to Make Sassafras Essential Oil
Just like most essential oils, Sassafras Essential Oil is processed through steam distillation. Steam distillation is the quickest yet one of the most effective processes in manufacturing essential oils. Every part of the Sassafras tree is an important ingredient in making this essential oil. Most of the oil can be extracted from the roots and barks and added to the oils derived from the flowers, twigs, stems and flowers. This process only takes 1-2 hours to complete.
Sassafras Essential Oil Recipe
You can make your own Sassafras Essential Oil by following these steps:
- Look for a mature Sassafras tree and with a shovel locate the main roots. Use an axe to get the roots but make sure that you don’t remove all of it because it will definitely kill the tree. Remove the dirt.
- Using a sharp knife or potato peeler, remove the back from sections of the roots that you got from step 1. Place them in a strainer and rinse well.
- Dry the roots and barks. This may take up to 2-3 weeks to completely dry.
- In a pot with water, place the dried bark and roots. Let it simmer for 4-6 hours. You will notice that the oil will naturally rise on top since it oil doesn’t mix with water.
- After simmering, remove from heat and let cool in room temperature.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Using a flat spoon, get the hardened oil carefully and place in the pot again to warm and regain its liquid state.
- To remove any residue, place cheesecloth over the funnel and pour in a wide, dark colored bottle. Make sure that your bottle has a cap because this oil can immediately spoil when exposed to air and light.
- Store in room temperature. This can last for 4-6 weeks.
Where to Buy Sassafras Essential Oil
Sassafras Essential Oil is available worldwide through Amazon.com. This can also be purchased at your local health shops.
More Information on Sassafras Essential Oil
- Sassafras Essential Oil should be used with extreme caution and medical professional supervision especially when you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Sassafras Essential Oil should be kept out of reach of children.
- Aside from medicinal and culinary uses of this essential oil, it also has industrial uses such as cleaning agent. You may use it for cleaning and use as ingredient for air fresheners. This also acts as mosquito and insect repellent.